Master list for chips

Hello, is there a master list of all the chips the space has? I’m trying to compile a master list and don’t want to go through all the chips if someone has done the legwork. Please let me know!

Paging @Team_Electronics

There is no “Master List” of ICs, components, etc.
Given how things are randomly used, moved around, etc. this is an impossible task to keep current.

hmm, what a shame. I’m not looking for the most current list, just a starting point to see what’s available out there for ICs

Last I checked, the galley had Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch Doritos, at least three varieties of Lays potato chips, Sun Chips, Fritos, and both puffy and crunchy Cheetos.

4 Likes

You have just assigned yourself the most daunting task in the Space (besides keeping people from doing crazy sh!t in the parking lot…)

There are literally millions of surface mount components, thousands of chips, hundreds of tools. Then there are the wires, connectors, nuts & bolts.

I can’t wait to see your results.

2 Likes

Thank you for your contribution to the cause! rimshot

2 Likes

@jordang, seriously, this is an overwhelming task. As with eating a whale (a Norwegian yuck actually did this), one has to simplify and start somewhere.

It might be possible to start just such a list/DB. I watched a guy fill a big pull drawer box with 7400 TTL, while printing all the labels one night. He sorted about 500 chips from donations, and now it is useable.

Do you know what you are looking at when you see a QP-144 or a SOC6? Can you tell the difference between surface mount, through hole, and hard wire? These are the things you need to know if you plan to do a Linean sort of the piles of unsorted stuff, then press it into a catalog.

We get so many donations that are just a mashup of people’s junk; that it might be better to institute a policy, rather than attempt to sort it all out. Make the rule: we don’t take a box full of mixed-up chips, or caps, or resistors. Finding what you need to complete a design, seems always harder than either designing, building, or testing the project.

If you really want to pursue this, I can help.

2 Likes

I’m willing to help too but I don’t see much value in organizing anything beyond the mainstream series - 7400 and 4000. It would be great to see fairly complete sets of those for sure. The more esoteric stuff probably isn’t worth the effort because Mouser is next-day delivery throughout the metroplex and Amazon is too.

1 Like

I hate to be a negative nelly but this too much work, even if you did accomplish it as soon as someone walked in there and put something in the wrong place all the work would be lost.

I think DJ (Daniel Jackson) had an E-Lab parts inventory back in 2013 or 2014, but he hasn’t been a member in a really long time and I can’t find a link to it. It has been done, and if there are enough components in bags with Mouser or Digikey barcodes on them, it could possibly be automated to an extent.

Seconded :wink: