Martian Close Encounter [DELAY] July 31, 2018. Next Showing: August 28, 2287

If you’re a stargazer, you probably already know this, but I figured I’d toss it out there for the casual observers who might be interested.

There will be a viewing at Brookhaven College July 30, 9-11 PM, if you’re wanting some tutelage and/or watching buddies.
Here is a flyer with all the info.

Although there will certainly be other vantages on Mars’ close approach to Earth, something this close will not happen again until 2287.

ETA: Here is a link with the vital info in text format, as well as couple of extra points of contact.

3 Likes

Thanks for the post. I’ve been a casual observer of night sky events since Sputnik I shook the world in 1957. Here are a few comments that are not astronomy but still interesting.

Heavens Above is a great site for info on astronomy and satellite spotting. The International Space Station is very visible quite often. A more dynamic sight is when an Iridium flare (reflection for antennas) sweep a beam across your neighborhood for a few seconds as bright as magnatude -8.4.
https://www.heavens-above.com/main.aspx

An interesting chart is the elevation of the ISS which is falling about 1 km/month and must be pushed back up.
https://www.heavens-above.com/IssHeight.aspx?lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=UCT

An then there are the clowns a block from my home who tie glow sticks to helium balloons and mono filament fishing line. They release the length of the line and tie the end to an anchor of some kind. The apparent size is about a quarter of a full moon but not as bright as it drifts in the breezes. After a while it falls and drapes the line across a couple of blocks including power lines. The line is an insulator but the power company is concerned enough to send out workers to clean it up.

3 Likes

Delayed to Tuesday, July 31, due to rain/cloud chances. 8:00 PM Presentation by National Space Society on Terra-Forming Mars in K120, then 9-11PM telescopes pointed to Mars with the Texas Astronomical Society on the plaza.