Mark Havens, care to comment?

No it does not, Free Speech does not apply to private organizations it is within the purview of DMS to consider it a violation of the privacy policy.

Example - Employee goes on Facebook and says I hate my company and they are terrible. The manager sees this and fires said employee.

5 Likes

Exactly. I like to refer folks to the ever-so-popular XKCD comic for this:

15 Likes

While freedom of speech within DMS platforms isn’t required by law, it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t strive for it in the community. I find this especially valuable when it comes to criticism of our structure, rules, BOD and procedures.

@Robert_Davidson, @Lampy, and others involved in the exposing of the financial mishandling of Kris and the previous BOD, had to deal directly with the repercussions of a BOD silencing the raising of concerns.This went to the point of banning members, threatening legal action intended to hurt them financially outside of DMS and removing their speech from DMS platforms.

While we don’t want to deal with negativity from within our group, banning it and standing proud that we don’t support freedom of speech within DMS walls isn’t a positive position in my perspective. But, this is just another reason I have personally chosen to separate from DMS. I’m only brought back in as I saw the Havens video on facebook.

I don’t believe Mr Haven’s really has a plan, but I do see some merit into his looking into the situation around DMS membership growth. I feel we shouldn’t of raise rates and shared my opinions openly when it was discussed. This BOD showed the issue was not the rate we were charging. Rather, it was the fiscally irresponsible decisions we were making.

I’m out, enjoy DMS and I hope it stays around so I can take a customer role in the future if a project requires.

6 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Member Onboarding and growth discussion

A post was merged into an existing topic: Member Onboarding and growth discussion

It’s settled. As Vice-Chair of the Science Committee, my first wiki-post for the science committee is going to be on good data visualization, data ethics, how not to be misleading, and how to spot bullshiters. I am appalled that a fellow data scientist would flop this hard during a time when many business leaders are skeptical of us.

Every single time you guys see a post like this made on talk, you can repost that wiki-page. I know that many people will not care, but I do believe that there are many people who would innocently make these mistakes.

14 Likes

https://www.morebluetape.org/about-us/