Mark Haven Statement of Intent BOD 2020-2021

@mrhavens you’ve continued to avoid all questions in this thread.

1 Like

@mrhavens What was the reason for you to stop perusing this. Do you still feel the information you were requesting should be available to all members?

I’d like to see two answers here actually. The general case, and the case where the organization has reason to believe the requester is acting in bad faith.

2 Likes

In the past you have publicly destroyed another member art work. You in the past said that you apologized to @maxk68 that was found to be a lie when I asked him. Hewas not ever apologized to do you think maybe you have something to say to him. What is stopping you from destroying another artwork for petty laughter.

Your actions from the past speak for the future as well.

2 Likes

@mrhavens :frowning: Mark Havens. Help me out here, I feel like I’m missing something. From a DMS perspective, how would this 5K not be better spent on education, tools, and so on?

7 Likes

Hi Anette,

That is EXACTLY what I thought! I never saw any actual numbers that validated Tapper’s assertions. Honestly, I never expect to see any numbers at all. Apparently, when I followed up on this concern later, none of Tapper’s assertions could be validated. I was grateful for that. I don’t know why he was graciously released as our Treasurer last year, but if the assertions he made as Treasurer were as accurate as the assertions he made while interacting with me, then I suppose there’s an answer in there somewhere that I’d rather have to not point out.

For more specific details about my reasons, here is a direct link to what I outlined in 2017.

As you can read from the context of my post, times have changed. Losing friends and being ostracized has become commonplace for many today. Especially for a nonincumbent like me who’s been asked by many members to not only run for board, but to win. And while I’m not proud of many of the values I had when I offered myself as an example to a very young leadership community we had nearly a decade ago, I’d like to think that my values have been reborn so that I may once again employ the gifts that I have been given to help set a better example for our leadership culture in the future. But this time, it will be with a restored heart, mind, and soul. I do this as a pentance to those I have injured with my pride, bitterness, and anger, regardless of the personal cost to me and my family.

I only hope I don’t screw it all up again like I did the first time.

Can you please share those interactions.

2 Likes

Confusion, and more confusion, not getting anywhere

4 Likes

You’ve been avoiding everything in this thread; how about explaining why being someone who has defrauded DMS and its members (this is not in dispute) should be allowed to be on our board?

5 Likes

Hell, you still haven’t explained why your felony drug conviction for being in possession of 1.5 kilos of weed makes you an ideal candidate for this position.

Felony drug possession and fraud involving other unwilling members of DMS that caused us to have to file with the state to get them out of your fraud. Then threatening to sue us if we didn’t give you access to more member names.

How about you explain why you should even be allowed to be a member let alone run for board.

3 Likes

I don’t want to get in the middle of this, but when I went to the Dallas County website to see what was reported, it says both charges were dismissed.

There are several paths to having a charge dismissed, deferred, prosecution unable to move forward, amongst many others.

I’m not saying he was guilty or innocent, just a data point that the County shows as DISM.

1 Like

mark_havens.pdf (173.9 KB)
Here’s the background check a member sent us.
accounting to the court records found in the search He pled guilty and the sentence was deferred.

Keep in mind, he admitted he did this in his statement of intent.

It’s amazing to me that no one has cited the bylaws. The bylaws state that anyone can inspect the corporation’s “books and records”. I don’t know why it’s so hard to find an actual legal document defining “books and records” (I tried Googling a bit, but maybe there’s a better resource). If anyone can present an actual legal document defining books and records of a corporation, I think that would be valuable in this conversation.

Relevant bylaws section:

Section 8.2 Inspection of Documents

1. The corporation shall make all books and records of the corporation available for inspection by any interested party for any proper purpose at any reasonable time by submitting a written request to the Secretary of the corporation.
  2. The request shall state the purpose for which the inspection is requested.
  3. The books and records shall be made available for inspection within a reasonable time after the request is received by the Secretary.
  4. Inspection of corporate books or records for purposes of soliciting business shall not be considered a proper purpose and in no case shall members’ contact information be made available for inspection except by consent of the member or as required by the Articles of Incorporation, these Bylaws or provisions of law.
1 Like

A little further down in the bylaws, Section 8.4 Maintenance of Corporate Books and Records :

Section 8.4 Maintenance of Corporate Books and Records

The corporation shall keep at its principal office:

1. Minutes of all meetings of Directors, officers, the membership and committees, indicating the time and place of holding such meetings, whether regular or special, how called, the notice given, and the names of those present, or if a membership meeting then the names of the officers present and the number of members present, and the proceedings thereof;
  2. Adequate and correct books and records of account, including accounts of its properties and business transactions and accounts of its assets, liabilities, receipts, disbursements, gains and losses;
  3. A record of its members indicating their names, addresses, and if applicable, their phone numbers, email addresses and the termination date of any membership; and
  4. A copy of the corporation’s Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws as amended to date.
4 Likes

? Was he listed in that action? I know he was the member, and his (now ex) wife wasn’t, because I opened the door to her once, and she poopooed my suggestion that her sponsoring member should be there with her. But I was under the distinct impression that he was unaware that what she was doing was fraud because she didn’t actually have the official credentials to imply she was getting folks the … certificate (whatever it’s called).

That settles it for me.

1 Like

Whenever I have read this section, my attention has always been drawn/hung up on the word/meaning of “inspection.”

Do you think making our Quickbooks open to any who request read access; our bylaws, rules, polices and minutes of all meetings open and freely available on the Wiki; and member name/address information accessible on the jump server at least meets the prima facie intent of the term “made available for inspection”?

@raffi ?

Mark, I don’t know why you don’t make this argument yourself, but I will.
Also @ESmith I just ctrl-f’d for ‘definition’, so thank you

Question: What access do people have to books and records?
Answer:

1. The corporation shall make all books and records of the corporation available for inspection by any interested party for any proper purpose at any reasonable time by submitting a written request to the Secretary of the corporation.

Question: What personal information about members do Books and Records include?

Section 8.4 Maintenance of Corporate Books and Records

The corporation shall keep at its principal office:

1. Minutes of all meetings of Directors, officers, the membership and committees, indicating the time and place of holding such meetings, whether regular or special, how called, the notice given, and the names of those present, or if a membership meeting then the names of the officers present and the number of members present, and the proceedings thereof;
  2. Adequate and correct books and records of account, including accounts of its properties and business transactions and accounts of its assets, liabilities, receipts, disbursements, gains and losses;
  3. A record of its members indicating their names, addresses, and if applicable, their phone numbers, email addresses and the termination date of any membership; and
  4. A copy of the corporation’s Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws as amended to date.
1 Like

The purpose is stated in the letter: “in order to facilitate communication with them regarding the organization’s business’”

1 Like

I think it’s because, as the bylaws state:

1 Like