March 2018 Laser Committee Meeting Minutes + Committee Report

This serves as both a posting of our meeting minutes and our monthly report for Thursday’s Member Meeting (hope to see some Laser members there!)

Can I just say how amazing Team Laser is? 17 people showed, made decisions, and worked! And ate meatball sliders, deviled eggs, fruit, veggies and chips. Extra tip o’ the hat to Graham and Josh for bringing food. That army marches on its stomach. I’m telling you. A great team all around. (And Graham brought me a present…confetti eggs for Easter…not that I’m playing favorites. OK, maybe I am. Just a tiny bit.)

Next Maintenance Day-with-a-side-of-Committee Meeting is April 8th at 11am. (Not meeting on Easter Sunday, fyi.) If you have an interest in keeping Laser running, we’d love to have you join us. I will feed you.

Wonder what is going on in Laser? You can peek behind the curtains here with our Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RpKt46AY-UbctIcSm9UzNQ2gSadPdOZRI6O8VVqJ-gA/edit. Open Items tell you what is in the works…Closed Items - grouped by month - tell you what we’ve done + meeting minutes + end of month Training and Financial summaries.

03/04/18. MONTHLY COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

17 Attendees: Stephenie Webb, Chair (@heyheymama); David Summers (@pinewoodnut); Ryan Caldwell (@somecallmery); Brady Pamplin (@bpamplin); David Steele (@david_steele); Bill Gee (@Bill); Josh Wims (@JoshW); Clay Romeiser (@motopilot); Syed (@sawdeck); Logan Cummins (@loganc10); Troy Gilchrist (@tgilchrist); John Gorman (@talkers); Russ Sutton (@PanicPipe) ; Eric Harter (@extralanyap); Graham Bateman (@grahamb); Bijal Haria (@Bejuled101); Stan Simmons, Infrastructure Chair (@StanSimmons).

Duration: 1 hour.

• Voted to make purchases:
    • 3 heat detectors for the Thunder lasers.
    • an initial supply of Cermark, transfer paper + dispenser, Goo Gone, 1/8" ply for class, Dual Layer acrylic sheet for class, replacement chuck key for rotary, replacement air connector, and replacement optics. Cermark will be kept locked up and available when committee members are present or during the Etching classes.
    • LightBurn licenses for three Thunder computers, the three design computers in the common room, and the jump server. LightBurn is an alternative to RDWorks. Because, unlike RDWorks, it will accept .svg files, our members will no longer need to use Adobe Illustrator, which acts as a bridge between Inkscape and RDWorks which can import .ai files. LightBurn is offering discounted licenses for our members’ personal use.
    • Roller-type rotary engraver. Will give us the flexibility to engrave larger diameter pieces. https://www.mansfieldcustoms.com/product-page/co2-laser-rotary-attachment
    • One copy each of PhotoGrav and 1-Touch Laser Photo for evaluation. (Update: Stephenie was wrong about the pricing. Much more expensive than she remembered and offers her apologies. Is tabling this purchase until Team can test trial versions.)
  • Updated/added action items:
    • Clay and Eric will create a pin board support on the multi-cam to raise work off of the laser beds.
    • Clay will work on revising No Go materials list.
    • Clay will update script to reset RDWorks units to inches.
    • Stephenie will ask Thunder for a spare parts price list and create a budget line item for spare parts.
    • Troy will price locking wall cabinets for north wall.
  • Infrastructure Chair gave status report on issues with Adobe Illustrator licenses and installation of new solid state drives.
  • Adjourned to perform Monthly Maintenance. In addition to routine maintenance, Chiller #3 was empty with bubbles in the line. Distilled water added. Evidence of a leak - water stain on floor and on scrap wood stored between chiller & wall. Team Laser will be watching the chiller closely. Josh could not find a for replacement link for Thunder’s drag chain.

FEBRUARY 2018 CLASSES: 14 classes. Honorarium: $200 for Laser, $150 for Blacksmithing, $50 for Electronics, $250 for Software Development, $50 VCC.

Laser Basics: 6 classes
Laser Zing: 2 classes
Making Boxes: 1 class
Rotary Engraver: 2 classes
Living Hinges: 2 classes
Inkscape Hands On: 1 class

FEBRUARY 2018 FINANCES: Estimated Monthly Net $3116.26. (Est. 2018 Net $4922.98) Does NOT reflect carryover balance from 2017.

Income:

• Square: $1760.26 (per Square). Transactions worth $1,370.67 missing from QBO. Last record on 02/07.
  • Honorarium: $400 (6 Jan classes deposited in February; 2 Feb classes)
  • Cash: $956 (Jan & Feb, counted by Merissa & Stephenie) + $80 (counted by bookkeeper)

Expenses: None.
Square Trends
2018_02_Square

9 Likes

@merissa got laser laser off and going with new equipment, you’ve energized the members into a cohesive group supporting the laser in all its aspects in an organized.

You and all the committee members are a great example of what can be achieved at committee level. It is at the committee level that DMS: eeks by, gets by, succeeds, or excels.

Team Laser is setting the bar - challenge is on!

Thanks to all of you for your efforts and success!

6 Likes

Thank for encouraging us. I can tell them until I’m blue in the face what a great job they are doing. Hearing it from the Board, however, resonates in a different way. @Kriskat30 paid us a visit while we worked and had strong encouragement to offer as well. Thank you both.

1 Like

I’m not encouraging so much as making an observation of cause and effect.

1 Like

Happy to hear about LightBurn; SVG is my preferred file format!

2 Likes

“…you make ‘em look like they’re all runnin’ in slow motion.”

Bo Darville, Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

1 Like

Thank you @heyheymama for the detailed Committee minutes. I arrived late, and it helps me with what I missed, as well as help those that could not attend the meeting.

Thank you @Team_Laser for all your help.

FYI - If you are part of the Laser Committee, but not receiving notifications for @Team_Laser, let Stephenie know so you can be added. The main use is a heads up for Laser issues so we can tackle them quickly.

1 Like

Awesome (detailed) report. Thanks for doing all the maintenance and fixing, too! You’re setting a great example!

2 Likes