Man down! But not out!

Well, some of you have probably noticed I haven’t been around as much lately. Reason, is I messed up my back - twice. The second injury paralyzed my left arm. This seemed pretty serious, so I finally (after being a total wimp about it for a while) decided to go in for surgery. My Neurosurgeon, Dr. Loyola, operated on me Saturday morning.

It required two complete operations, on two different parts of my cervical spine. One was a minimally invasive one from the front (bottom of my neck), the other required an 8 inch incision on my back. The front problem had trapped my ulnar nerve, paralyzing my hand and some of my arm. The other, turned my normally round spinal cord into something that looked like a kidney bean, and was scraping off a little tissue at a time from my spinal cord. The cord thing earned me a “you need this right now” from the doc.

This was some scary stuff now. You kind of need that cord intact for things like breathing, walking, crapping, etc.

So, despite just having all this done, I feel ok. Pretty doo-doo on painkillers now, but prior to operation they weren’t masking the pain at all, and I couldn’t sit and work at a computer for more than a few minutes at a time. I’m sitting here comfortable now, despite the surgery Will take a while to get my hand back, but I’m already able to move it a bit, and I think its on the way back. The cuts on my neck sure do look gnarly though.

I got the referral for this Doc from an anesthesiologist - I reasoned that someone watching all these docs operate would have pretty good clue on who was good and who wasn’t. This turned out to have been a great idea. Dr. Loyola did an awesome job on a difficult problem. And I’m still alive, nothing new paralyzed, and looks like I’ll be getting my hand back too. This guy is the man.

26 Likes

I’m happy to hear you’re doing better. Feel better.

2 Likes

Hope you have speedy recovery.
Have dealt w/ back issues myself. Not fun stuff.
Vitamin B12 helped speed up part of my recovery.
Helps w/ neural repair. Can’t hurt.

1 Like

As I said earlier let me know if you need food or anything else. Wishing you speedy healing!

3 Likes

Hope you have a quick recovery. Holler if there is anything that I might do to help out.

Take care of yourself and follow the doctor s and therapist orders,
Dont over do thing too soon

I’m glad you are recovering. Nothing hurts quite like back pain. We’re looking forward to having you back at DMS. Let me know if I can help in any way. Wishing you the best. Praying for you, too.

Will you be able to speak louder at meetings now since they worked on front of neck? :wink:

3 Likes

Wish I’d thought of that, could have installed a speaker!

4 Likes

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Hope you are feeling better very soon with no lasting issues.

Phew that’s no small surgery. Good luck on your recovery!

1 Like

Hang in there, Brian. Thanks for the update. And thanks for everything you do for DMS.

2 Likes

Wow! Very scary! I’m wishing you a speedy recovery! Please let us know if you need anything!

It sounds bad, but I had a good surgeon, and I’m progressing pretty well. Going to try and attend the Board meeting Friday, if you want, I can show you my gnarly cuts!

5 Likes

Thought I would update this.

I’m sitting here on day 13 post op. The incisions still look pretty ghastly, but give me no pain. In fact, in most ways, I am pain free, and taking no medicines of any sort.

Honestly, I’m completely stunned by this. The Neurosurgeon (Dr. Walter Loyola) cut me up pretty good, with a 2 or 3 inch cut in front, and a much bigger one in back, nearly a foot in length. I did my research beforehand, and was expecting a hell of a lot worse. I mean he cut off several bone spurs, a calcareous ridge inside my vertebrae that was pinching my spinal cord into a kidney bean shape and threatening me with a life not really worth much, removed a complete blown-out disk, added a titanium bracket with screws, added some sort of super-polymer spacers to hold the vertebra apart while the bones fuse, and trimmed a bulge in another disk. And I feel just a bit weak and crampy 13 days after the surgery??? Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. I am one lucky FOB.

In honesty, I earned this damage mostly through things I probably shouldn’t have been doing. Wrecked Harleys, numerous fistfights, adrenaline sports, h4wt monkey s3x, more. I honestly do not believe I deserve the blessing I have received here. Yet here I am.

I am rapidly regaining my mobility now, and don’t be surprised to see me piddling about the Space this week.

If you ever need spine or brain surgery, do yourself the biggest favor you can. Dr. Walter Loyola.

And if you’re still young, lay off the monkey s3x while you still can. And that other stuff too.

9 Likes

Dang man! Glad you’re healing and grateful for modern medicine!

If you need anything, let us know! I’ll be praying for you bro