Making Large Fiberglass Molds and Parts (car body parts specifically)

I am not sure what category to put this in since it applies to any fiberglass mold or large part making. I have “plugs” for 1953 Corvette (a plug looks like the real part but is slightly oversize to account for shrinkage and is made of steel, Bondo and fiberglass to be structurally rigid). The plugs need some minor repairs f=of cracks and chipped edges. I want to start with the hood, trunk and two doors. The body is very large and very heavy and is still at my house in Austin. I can haul it up later if needed.

Questions… 1) Is anyone interested in learning to do something like this? 2) Should I do a class or just do this whenever I can and let people participate as they want to? 3) Does anyone want to learn how to do the minor bodywork required to repair the plugs?

I have done all the work to date by myself at my house but just wondering if other want to learn.

1 Like

id be down to learn how to make body parts. ive got a 2002 excursion and im wanting to eventually buy one of the kits out there to convert the front end to the 2015 ford heavy duty style. ive seen a couple Excursy’s that have it and it looks awesome. you can buy OEM pieces but it wouldnt hurt to learn to how to make them as well…