Making Espresso at DMS

Do we know how that gas line gets to the roof? I was joking about the roaster, but since we are going to be finishing out 102 it is the right time to ask… even if we just tap and cap. At least we’d have a stub for the future.

I would say we need landlords permission, that is a definite architectural modification that would impact items like insurance. This would also definitely be cooking food which has specific limitations on it. Anything requiring a gas line I doubt they’d agree to.

This conversation seems to have gone way off track from getting an espresso machine.

1 Like

We’re drifting from espresso to roasting beans. Time to split threads maybe?

I’d love to have an Espresso machine at the space but I’m concerned about membership care and feeding of such a thing as well as where to put it. I know some of you look down on capsule options to simulate the real thing, like nespresso, but I think such a machine would hold up and easily fit on the counter space we have. We could also order one and have it delivered in a couple days for a few hundred dollars = low barrier to entry.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s not barista approved standards

No, It is barista approved :wink: Just slightly annoying that its a manual grinder but that has its pluses too.

I was talking about the electric one I brought actually

2 Likes

Not likely to be an option, but I will ask the expansion team when Infrastructure has its turn.

1 Like

I agree. There are some pretty nice “auto machines” out there where you select your choice of drink and it grinds the coffee/dispenses milk. Could probably charge a buck a drink and it would pay itself off pretty quick.

Got to look at that one last week. Not a fan of the Mc’D logo but personal tastes aside; it’s still a good grinder.

So, who would like a class?

1 Like

Hate to necropost but I recently started working for 7-Eleven and both Franke and Melitta have some pretty darn nice machines that do coffee, espresso, cappuccino, etc. with up to three types of freshly ground beans. 7-Eleven has expressed some interest in sponsoring MakerSpace in a limited way (with more notice they would have provided Big Bites and Slurpees at our big open house this year). At the very least I’m sure we could use their volume discounts to buy a nice coffee setup. Most of these have cash pay add-on modules.

2 Likes

Ok, so I told you that story so I can tell you this story.
I lived in Europe for a couple of years. Everything was expresso this, latte that, frap-a-foo-foo. So I was visiting Greece and went into a coffee shop and ordered coffee. I immediately got the “you want expresso? You want latte? You want frap-a-foo-foo?”.

I asked in return - "You got ground coffee? . Pour hot water over it. I want the dirty water that comes out the bottom.
The response was - “Oh! You want an Americano”. and that’s what I ordered for the next two years.

Cheers!!

5 Likes

haha it’s really an espresso but they add hot water to dilute it and thus the americano is born.

1 Like

Yes because Americans can’t coffee.

I don’t really mind the pour over that we have (though I think that a Chemex is the most beautiful piece of coffee art around, I’ve had a few of them) but I would love a (good) espresso machine and would be willing to pitch in on the right one.

I have personally used the machine below for quite some time… it’s great, you cannot control the pressure per say but by adjusting the grind and amount you can really dial in most beans proper.

It is not a bad espresso machine… I think the idea of getting a full blown commercial machine is a bit overzealous… Most people will not take the time to learn and use it properly. If we decide to get this for the space I will gladly make a how-to video :stuck_out_tongue:

it’s a nice little machine and if we take care of it, I think it would be a great addition to the space. I know I want my cortados when i’m around.

1 Like

i’m definitely down to join the coffee sig btw. I go all the way to fort worth to pick up Onyx beans and definitely take my coffee serious…

(If anyone knows a coffee shop closer that sells Onyx… please let me know)

1 Like

for those that are serious and willing the put in the work…

this handgrind hario is the beezneez. I used it for years

1 Like

i’m definitely down to join the coffee sig

Me too! when should we meet up?