Making Espresso at DMS

Ok can do, I would think galley since it can can grind for the gatorcup, unless there’s a coffee maker other than the Keurig I don’t know about. I can move it wherever though

80 cents a pod (original line) is a good price with retail markup. I own a nespresso machine. It’s adequate, but I find I like their latest generation much better.

A double shot of espresso made with great beans from one of the finest roasters in Dallas would use about 70–80¢ of coffee, so less than half that amount!

Who would that be?

I’m good for $100 in the “buy the machine” fund. No reason for DMS to buy one, but I’d love to have it. I get along with nespresso too.

2 Likes

Okay, we’ve got $200 pledged so far. What the target goal and a target must complete by date? Say June 30th?

The other question is what is the target machine. Even if we narrow it down to Nespresso, the site lists 23 possibles. I’m not a coffee drinker, but if we go with their Original line I’d be willing to chip in some (because I can get Hot Chocolate pods for original not vertuo)

Choose your type of flavor

• Blonde
  • Dark Roast
  • Medium Roast
  • Light Roast

0 voters

The most popular one gets donated to the space and the Donator’s has the discretion on origin and roaster.

Ok, if we throw in a Milk Frother and I’ll making coffee runs every other day.

The added benefit is we’ll get a live-in denzuko plus barrestia at the space.

Lets say $2k all in for a espresso machine and a good espresso grinder. I’d be alright with a June 30 deadline. Any later and my ability to throw money at frivolous purchases is going to be in serious jeopardy due to my pending nuptial ceremony…

On a more serious note, I’d almost rather we morph the idea from an espresso machine to a coffee roaster… For the same 2k we could get a Hottop roaster that hooks to Artisan, and still have 500 left over for a gently used Bunn Airpot drip machine with hot water. Get a roaster SIG going and then we can actually start something.

But I’m good for a C-note either way…

JR

If we go the Nespresso route I have an extra milk frother I could donate, or we buy a new one, they are not that expensive. I would recommend the Pixie. Its lower cost with a small footprint and rapid startup time.

I think the Nespresso is the way to go. Used them when working in Italy, they were pretty decent. Easy to clean and maintain (A Maker Must).

1 Like

Blonde and light roast are the same.

Starbuck speak. Not everyone agrees

The problem, though, is that Starbucks seems to be inventing a whole new language for coffee, ignoring the standard practices and nomenclature of the whole roasting world. So while in Starbucks-land, “blonde” translates to “lighter in flavor than dark,” normal-world blonde roasts are a whole other beast, extremely lightly roasted to let a different, natural flavor of coffee beans shine. Oliver Strand’s October article in the Times on super-light-roast coffee in Oslo gives a good idea of what a real blonde roast might taste like:

3 Likes

Starbucks wants to be your “third place.”

We all know that DMS is our third or even second place.

3 Likes

FWIW - We use a pixie at work for about 20 coffee drinkers and it works fine. I would contact parks though and see if they’ll comp us a commercial machine for free.

Starbucks is a sham. They sell bitter, over-roasted crap using faux European names for their cups. Everything about Starbucks is fake and crap.

1 Like

Dang dude, tell us how you really feel lol

4 Likes

I personally favor just the machine and pods. A frother requires cleanup every time it used I’m sure that will happen.

One place we worked we just had Bunn drip maker, but used the pre-measured coffee that were in filer bags. Toss it in, hit start, toss it in trash when done. No mess easy to do. Isn’t all the fancy types of coffee but at 25 cents per 12 oz was bargain. That paid for sugar and creamer.

IMO whatever is gotten is has to be very simple to clean and maintain or it’ll be problem in days. That is one of the main advantages of Kruerig type machines.

Who can check with Park’s regarding a Pixie (or similar) for free + stocking pods? Some will bring in their own pods of course.

If Parks isn’t an option then here’s our choices. Machines start at 149 but I like the Pixie I have and would recommend:

im positive this is how you get ants…

jkjk but for real imo as a former barista a normal person trying to hop ona nice machine without any experience, thinking they are making coffee, would hurt themselves and or break the tools.

1 Like