Making a Yarn Bowl?

Allo @Team_Fired_Arts

I have an anniversary coming up at the end of the month, and it’s the anniversary that I typically make my wife something. Since she’s an avid knitter, I’d love to make her a yarn bowl.

What is path I should take to making one of these? and is it even a practical to consider doing this by the end of this month?

Thank you!

1 Like

Alas, no. I could help you make a hand-built one – probably wouldn’t be quite as precise, but doable in your time frame. Learning to throw is a serious muscle-memory thing. (The bowl you have pictured has been thrown on the wheel and then carved.) I really hate to make predictions of how long it takes to learn, because it varies so widely. Some guys have learned in a relatively short time (say 2 weeks?). Other folks never really get it. It’s been forever since I first learned. I’d say it took me maybe a month? With a lot of practice. And then I was decent. I’ve been throwing a few pieces once or twice a month, and my skills are not back to where they were at the end of that first semester.

So – do you want to try hand-building one? It could be the Thursday-evening-let’s-look-busy-in-Fired-Arts thing.

4 Likes

Understood. The picture was really just an example.

A hand built one would be just as fantastic. A Thursday-evening-let’s-look-busy-in-Fired-Arts would work great for me. How about I direct message you and we’ll coordinate offline? Thanks again!

4 Likes

George,

Here is a photo of a yarn bowl from a local couple that have their work in my store. His work is often whimsical…

7 Likes

I like that one. Some of the face ones are a bit too gross for me.

2 Likes

If you want to venture up to my store - I have several of his whimsical pieces…I’m halfway between Dallas and Denton

1 Like

Let me rephrase that last post …If you would like to come up and see what I have from local artists (might give you ideas?) I am in the Flower Mound / Lewisville area…

3 Likes

Oh no. What I need is time. Not that I can’t learn from others, but I am full of ideas… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Better to be full of ideas instead of being full of something else

Time? i wish for more of that as well - and am disappointed that no one group has made a time machine yet - dammit

2 Likes

What all types of work from local artists do your carry?