Making a linoleum or rubber stamp: Shapeoko2 training?

I would love to learn how to do a rubber stamp or something that
I can use to stamp my logo on paper boxes,

Exactly! I thought of your logo @Cairenn_Day when I was designing something for my daughter. I think yours would raster beautifully into a stamp and give you a really nice custom look for your boxes. Maybe even bags and tag cards? Once we know the method is viable, it would be easy to do a couple of sizes.

Iā€™ll pick up an assortment of goodies, play with a couple of them, and then we can meet and work the stamps up. I donā€™t expect materials to be more than $8 or so for a 5 x 7 stamp. Once you add machine time maybe $5 to $10 depending on the size per stamp.

I mentioned earlier that I like the softness of a linoleum print, but plan to do one of each linoleum and the laser-approved rubber.

My son mentioned he did a rubber stamp that he used with bleach to reverse-print patches as giveaways for a band he was in. (Kid wonā€™t admit it, but he learned that from someone. :wink: ) Iā€™m thinking bleach gel, but then it got me into an idea of bleach printing fabric. So now I have to go remember how to manage a decent tessellation that I can design reverse-print sundresses for my granddaughters. Iā€™m thinking reverse design on a dyed ombreā€¦ Dangerous, dangerous place, this Makerspace.

(Hang onto your hat, though. Iā€™m about to go get myself into some DMS troubleā€¦)

1 Like

that sounds great, I have plain Kraft paper boxes and I eventually
want to use muslin bags for jewelry, but the satin ones were cheaper,

I donā€™t think rubber or similar substances machine well but there are so many substances out there to try ā€¦

The CA rule for the shapeoko is nothing involving liquids or hazardous to someones health; seems like all the things being discussed here are fair game if someone wants to try it. That speedball linoleum in particular sounds promising to me.

Iā€™ve not seen anyone clamoring for Shapeoko classes recently but can add a couple (I do a week night and a weekend pair usually) if interest is building.

3 Likes

I need to learn to use it, And I need the computer training so
I can, With my vision problems, I am going to have to learn to let a
computer stand in for my hands and eye s
on a lot of things/ When you can t cut alone a simple lien, its bad, but tech can help

No worries @Cairenn_Day - Once I figure it out Iā€™ll spend some time with you to get the stamp(s) you need for your jewelry business. Maybe weā€™ll set it up as a workshop day and others can do one or two as well.

2 Likes

The software thatā€™s easy to use for the Shapeoko is Easel at https://www.inventables.com/technologies/easel. Itā€™s on-line software and free. Once you have a design you can import it into Easel and set your your depth of cuts and see what it looks like. With a little instruction, running it is really easy. For making lino prints on heavy paper my depth of cut was just .06" (about 1/16"). I did another one at only about .04" and it worked fine also. For fabric or lighter paper you may need to go a bit deeper.

Also, you can save a bit of money by buying the lino in sheets and mounting it to a block yourself. I found the double sided tape works well to hold it to a block of wood and you can reuse the block. Attached is a print I made from a cut using the laser (the one we donā€™t have anymore).
lino print.pdf (118.8 KB)

2 Likes

I was thinking about doing just that! Thereā€™s always scrap in woodshop. I helped make a few blocks of it myself during training last Sunday.

Thanks for your help by suggesting some depths.

(Wow! Thatā€™s a really sharp stamp for linoleum. Gives me great hope for the project in my head.)

====

So in summary on this project (so far)

ā€“Iā€™m buying sheets of genuine linoleum from Amazon and sheets of no-odor laser rubber from Johnson Plastics.

ā€”Iā€™m cutting a rubber stamp on the Zing.
ā€”Iā€™m cutting a lino stamp on the Zing.

ā€”Iā€™m waiting for training to be scheduled and hoping itā€™s one that I can attend to use the Shapeoko to cut a lino stamp there.

ā€”Iā€™m stamping paper and fabric to figure out what works better where.

Then Iā€™ll put together a workshop where we can all happily carve away by clicking a computer key. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bought 3 sheets of 9 x 12 (genuine) linoleum speedball brand unmounted today. Will be here Friday.

Iā€™ll be back next Monday, pick up the no-odor laser stamp rubber from Johnsonā€™s, and then will get to work on the Zing using both materials. (Iā€™ve been trained!)

Iā€™d still like Shapeoko2 training. If a training doesnā€™t come together, maybe I could trade stamp supplies for a personal lesson and sign off? Iā€™d very much like to have making stamps on the laser and Shapeoko in my tool box of mastered skills by the end of April.

I also want to use the Shapeoko to engrave cork coasters from Ikeaā€¦Right now our family labels them with a Sharpie, but Iā€™m gonna up that game.

FYI, Cork works really well in a CO2 laser. Iā€™ve done a lot of it on my personal laser. There are probably setting in the Zing manual.

2 Likes

Submitting Shapeoko training for 10 days out or so ā€¦ should show up on the calendar in 3 days ā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks! On my calendar to check.

Great, I am very interested also, Now watch it be the day I have to to drink
the fluid for my colonoscopy! I will be so glad when that is over

Ugh. Did that a couple of months ago. Good thing itā€™s not a yearly requirement.

And I know the usefulness of them since I have had pre cancerous polyps removed,

Classes should be Sunday the 19th @ 11:30 AM and Tuesday evening the 21st at 7:30 AM.

2 Likes

My first carves. More when I find a real keyboard.

====

Used my instincts to choose a ball point bit. I think it worked very well. I fiddled around and got it to clamp down properly. I didnā€™t carve through the material! Linoleum setting using those carving details on Easel.

Will have to figure out size, centeringā€¦ zero point - maybe make a masking template of some kind?

The top one was supposed to have 4 letters, but I saw that there wouldnā€™t be room and stopped it. Strangely enough, itā€™s centered better thank the one I set up with only three. The C is off on the carve. Will need to figure that out.

And yes. Thatā€™s right. In order to keep order in the household, we number our coasters. But soon there will be a set with fancy things on them for identification! I tested on these used ones.

Next up: linoleum.

2 Likes

Iā€™m ridiculously excited.

Iā€™m also like a 5 year old just learning how to write her name. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looking good, !!! (needs 20 letters)

If you send me your logo and tell me the size you want, Iā€™ll set it up and then we can meet up to watch it carve.