Making a guitar?

Curious if anyone has ever built a guitar at the Makerspace, either electric, acoustic or classical? There’s probably a few different ways you could do it, but the first thought is that the body would have to made in the woodshop. I’ve also heard of them being 3D printed, but I don’t think we have a printer up there large enough to handle the job.

THAT would be a class I’d like to take…

I’m pretty sure I remember seeing someone who CNC’d out an electric guitar body on the Multicam at on point.

That would have been Andy Bojo, however he’s no longer at DMS.

2 Likes

There have been multiple people - we’ve had one person make violins!

3 Likes

That’s on @Gearstorian’s bucket list.

Who if I recall actually has one of his playing in the Dallas symphony don’t quote me on that but I’m 90%

But like mentioned above Andy was the grand poobah of guitar making around the space, but I did a small venture into it under his tips and stuff and so anything acoustic to make properly requires a lot and I mean a lot of very task specific tools and hardware to be able to pull of in the realm of decent! Electric is what Andy mastered and helped me out with a while ago, and since the sounds coming from circuits that’s a very helpful crutch that makes it a lot easier to pull off you just have to get the measurements of the hardware cavities down with insane tolerance in relation to one another but other than that the styling is completely dependent on how you wanna shape it and it won’t effect sound! The route I went and Andy at first is basically use a donor one to harvest all the parts from (neck, pickups, truss rod etc) then just make the body using that make and models template layout and then just shape the body to your will

1 Like

Helped a buddy of mine make some custom electric guitars by hand a few months ago. It breaks down into three main pieces: body, neck, fingerboard. For each piece, we made blanks that were approximate sizes of the pieces, rough cut on the bandsaw, then finished each one CA’d to a plywood copy with a router flush trim bit. Guitar body and neck are fairly straightforward with some interesting bits routed out. Fingerboard is tough to get perfect since it requires a very subtle radius. Ended up making a jig similar to a router sled but with a slight curve.

Very rewarding process but it’s a labor of love. First guitar may take you 40 hours. The next one 20. And so on.

Good luck out there :wink:

10 Likes

Making one with stone knives and bear skins…