MakeVideosNow Classes - All about Video/Audio, LIVEstreaming, Post-Production Editing

Beginning this month, I will be holding a number of classes each week dealing with making various types of videos. My first official class will be October 19th and is on the Calendar already. Below is a synopsis of what to expect in that class.

I will also be scheduling some time for those interested to discuss projects to be done as practical exercises to learn from that will deal with creating digital media for the Dallas Makerspace. @JayJohnson600 has suggested making some 15-30 showcases or trailers for the various committees and/or members. Tentatively that will be Oct 12th, Monday (to be added to the calendar).

Hope you can swing by and check out what we are doing!

==========

This class will cover the basics of equipment, software and services that are utilized to create, edit and distribute video media. The class will be customized to those who are present, as we will spend the first half hour getting to know what you plan to use video for.

Typical topics discussed:
Types of Cameras to use - Webcams, DSLR Cameras, Smart Phones
Lighting - Indoors, Outdoors, Professional and DIY Lighting
Audio - Mixers, Microphones, Wireless
Critiquing YouTube Videos, Screensharing, Green Screen, On-screen Effects and much more!

This is a hands-on class, so bring anything and everything you have or that you would like others to take a look at and give you some advice on using. There will be video and audio equipment available for you to test out if you don’t already have something to work with.

The class starts at 6:00pm informally, but it is ok if you arrive around 6:30pm. We will be wrapping up the class at 8:30pm, but we have the room until 9:00pm to continue discussing topics. If no one is in the Digital Media Room with the blue screen, you are welcome to check to check out what is available for use to DMS members.

2 Likes

At some time, I would be interested in learning what would be needed to film a short jewelry tutorial. I would love to have them available to go with the classes I teach. These would be 5-10 min long.

1 Like

Cairenn_Day are you wanting to do something akin to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaWkwl3fUSU

Sounds easy enough… It would be good to see you in the class and we can cover what would be needed for your situation.

Just for a short answer here in Talk… If you were looking to do it as inexpensive as possible, you could accomplish what you need with a simple USB webcam and a laptop or a tripod and a special holder if you have a nice smart phone.

If these videos were going to be made at the Space, you could learn to use the RX10 Camera in Digital Media on a tripod.

Then all you would need to do is edit the footage afterwards… if you felt you wanted/needed to.

I would have to do it at the space, since I have no equipment. I have a stupid phone! I need to add this to my list of classes to take.

you would think that making and selling jewelry, one would just need to know how to do it—NOPE you need a whole basket of skills, unless you can afford to pay others to do things for your (HMM, maybe that would be good way to make money off of jewelry—do all the OTHER things needed— in my copious amounts of spare time!)

Warning, I will need a LOT of guidance

I am interested in compiling a bunch of short clips I have taken with my iPhone of the process of casting bronze from a local foundry in an informative and artistic way. I started with a trial software but the subscription ran out. Wondering what editing software dms has for members to use. May be joining the class on the 19th.

1 Like

Sounds like a great project to start out with… relatively simple. The great thing with video that you record is you can always use the raw footage to change it up and make a different style of video once you learn a new trick or trying out a new software.

Hopefully I will see you on the 19th…

I’m sorry I’ll miss it. This will be a great addition to Digital Media.

No worries I plan to repeat this class once a month. What kind of video stuff are you interested in?

Recording tutorials for our tools. Proper techniques for lighting, audio, editing, etc.

Just a reminder that this class is coming this Monday evening… October 19th. I have been getting a few emails from people outside the Makerspace looking to reserve a seat, so it should be a great turn out with lots of people to talk and network with.

I advertised the event on about 12 different Facebook Groups, Twitter, Craigslist and Backpage. Lots of exposure to be sure.

I’m hoping to have the time to come out. Excited to see how the Non-Member, Now Member class is going to turn out. Side note, I thought backpage was just for prostitutes??? Never knew it would be a useful site for things I’m interested in. Craigslist master race. :wink:

1 Like

Have you been looking at my browsing history?! LOL

Backpage evidently does have other non-nefarious uses… who knew!

1 Like

It would be kind of funny if a bunch of prostitutes saw it on Backpage and showed up for the class.

1 Like

Hey… It would only serve to get more gentlemen to come and sit in on the class. :wink:

1 Like