MakersSpace Newbie

Hi! I recently became a member at MakersSpace with the sole interest of using the CNC and laser cutters in the wood shop. I realize I need to be certified to use those tools and I would like to at some point. I wanted to see if there is anyone possibly for hire that I can give my files to that are certified with those tools to cut out the pieces I need. Any guidance or suggestions is much appreciated! Thanks!

I know you are probably looking for someone to help you out on the CNC.

But the lasers have self-training available online: Dallas Makerspace: Log in to the site
Be warned, cutting much over 1/2" will be difficult [IMHO], and the laser will leave a non-perpendicular edge [most notable on thicker material].

You can also make templates on the laser that can be used with a straight cutting bit on the router table - this would achieve the same result as the CNC [with a little more work].

A couple of videos that might be helpful:

4 Likes

If you need to make thick templates, include laser cut holes in all the layers for toothpicks or dowels so you can align the template layers for a glue-up.

I do a lot of route template work… it can be done with the laser and acrylic templates… just depends on what you are trying to make… if you have questions I’d be happy to offer advise

1 Like