Makerspace NYC trip report

Just spent 6 days in Manhattan with @heyheymama and @NickWebb. Didn’t go anywhere near Times Square (been there-done that already). The lines at the Met, and at the Museum of Natural History were around the block. Same with the New York Public Library. Ran into the tourist hordes at the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center (photo attached for reference). Didn’t stay long. We were leaning HARD on our COVID boosters at that place.

Central Park, Chinatown, Brooklyn (Nick’s solo adventure), the Bronx’ Little Italy, and lesser known museums…Fraunces Tavern, Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design; Museum of NY History, and the Tenement Museum were not crowded, and delightful.

Highly recommend staying a couple of hours (or overnight, as we did) at the restored 1962-era, fabulous TWA Terminal-now-Hotel at JFK airport. @uglyknees, this place is right up your alley.

7 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Is that a Bimmer Isetta? Haven’t see one since my time up in Tulsa, OK. And it was tagged and road worhty.

2 Likes

Yes it is…….

That is a Lockheed Constellation as indicated by the “recycled” P-38 Lightning vertical stabilizer.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Wonderous!!
I’ve really let myself down with my lack of travel. We even backed out of an Italy trip over Thanksgiving out of concern for our 11 (at the time unvaccinated son). It was a hard decision but the more I read the better we felt about the “it’s just not the right time”.
Now that he’s had his second dose I think it’s time to cash in the credit and take a spin on the wheel. We aren’t living in fear but we’re living with apprehension which is a new thing all together. Ugh, we could go around and around.

3 Likes

My wife had a play date scheduled for our kiddos in a few days and was agonizing over canceling and depriving them of time with friends. A quick text, and it turns out two families in the group are already out, one due to maybe Covid and in the other, the husband just lost his sense of smell.

I’m not a fearful person. There’s a difference between fear and prudence :slight_smile:

On the topic, I’m loving the tips for visiting NYC! Never been, and looking forward to it when things calm down.

3 Likes