Makerspace looking for Executive Director

The makerspace in Decatur Georgia is looking for an executive director. Salary In the $65k - $75k range.

https://www.facebook.com/job_opening/532630581613213/?source=share

1 Like

This is so sad to me. A Makerspace with $30 monthly memberships has figured out how to have an “employee” and the former largest Makerspace with higher fees can’t! All the money DMS wastes on repairs and angst due to issues with training delays and member comfort (current example: Asking for, and offering... HELP) is IMO in large part due to worship of the holy grail of “all volunteer, all the time”. The suggestions for steward positions are always met with hand wringing over “employee”. Seems like they found a way in Georgia. Kuddos to them.

4 Likes

while sharing the Makerspace name, they are a different kind. lots of sponsors with strings attached, kids being taught, local government tie ins. we are not the same setup. sorry @bertberaht it’s apples to oranges

7 Likes

Doesn’t matter what fruit DMS might be. By choice, DMS is a place filled with quality and expensive tools being operated by unevenly trained/experienced folk. By choice DMS avoids oversight of users pre-emptively, accepts excessive repair costs, risks rebukes by the Fire Marshall when housekeeping falters, etc. I can accept this made sense when DMS was in its early life up through the teenage years … but isn’t it time to consider DMS an adult? I suspect we all did things when young that we grew out of for a valid set of reasons. Not suggesting stodgy grownup behavior for the organization … but taking the time to consider what best serves the community today to be a creative hub of learners, doers, and working tools.

1 Like

you really are blinded by the fact that you think you are the person we should hire for shop steward

1 Like

Not true. Not qualified. Would not take the job, period. Cold stop.
The steward you hire should have more skills and be able to work several areas. I am way too limited to Woodshop be a candidate for DMS.

that’s some unicorn hunt you’d have us on.

2 Likes

Not sure I agree. It depends on the job description we’re looking for. Do you want a leader? A fundraiser? A steward? A teacher? If you want all of them in one person, yes that’s hard. If you only want a few of those, those are all qualities that are findable.

2 Likes

Funny, there are so many members who post about projects in multiple areas of the space. You want a teaching spirit who is a jack of multiple trades and a willingness to learn enough about some others to be helpful. Expertise in many is not the minimum. I dare say you would find a qualified candidate just looking in the mirror … glass, laser, 3d printing, metal, auto, woodshop and probably more.

4 Likes

Can we redirect this thread to help them find qualified candidates for the position?

DMS may get there eventually but even then our needs would probably be greater than a single position. We can form a committee to propose something similar to do here but it has to start somewhere besides just complaining.

9 Likes