MakerSpace Bee Hive make our own honey?

Count me as interested in a class!

1 Like

given the number of hive designs I have seen - making the hive in the woodshop would be an amazing group event.

1 Like

Could probably make or buy something similar to this setup. www.honeyflow.com

I have a hive at home. Iā€™m interested.

1 Like

I have a library book on making beekeepeeng equipment.

Beesource.com has a good set of plans for various beekeeping equipment. I donā€™t recommend making frames: too many jigs and setups to make it worthwhile on the small scale of the hobbyist and frames are cheap to buy.

Making boxes makes sense, but care needs to be taken to remain compatible with commercial equipment. Maintaining ā€œbee spaceā€ is the key to successful bed boxes, and some of the measurements are non-obvious.

I would be interested in this. Bees are my spirit animal.

Lastly @Adam_Oas you officially made me smirk - your jokes are almost dad joke level.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got two beehives at my house in Grapevineā€¦I built the hives from a kit but Brian builds really nice hive boxes here at Makerspace. Looks like thereā€™s no lack of interest hereā€¦we can tie in a class with biodynamic gardening in the spring.

2 Likes

If you end up with honey, Iā€™m sure the brewing group would be willing to refine it to mead :wink:

3 Likes

Not to fond of Mead, but a friend use some of my honey to make a Honey Porter (beer) was rather goodā€¦

1 Like

wow! we need to talk!

Lastly, bees are amazing and can travel miles to find their pollen, but obviously making it easy for them is preferred. Having a site close to DMS with access to water and out of the way of humans, the pesky kind not the neighborly kind, is desired.

A DMS community garden is needed then! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Manā€¦thatā€™d be super dope.

4 Likes

I havenā€™t harvested any honey yet but I should get about 20 lbs this year in May. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m currently a beekeeper.

Also I teach people how to do hive removals pretty regularly. Get a suit, find some bees and get ails of me. I have a group on facebook called ā€œNorth Texas Bee Traderā€ pretty soon itā€™s going to be swamped with people asking for hive removals.

At some point in time I need to find someone to remove the hive of bee in the south wall of my house,
They are very hardy it seems, they have been there for well over 5 years

My issue is that I have asbestos siding and some of it will have to be removed and I will have to finds something to coer that area

Since I am somewhat allergic to bee stings, I really need it gone, but I can t affore to pay for it being
removed and then for repairs also, The best price I have goten on a removal is $499,

Youā€™re in luck, I never charge anything, but gas money is appreciated(still not required). Iā€™m not a carpenter though, I can staple something up to cover it temporarily.

If there is someone here that wants some bees, get your equipment ready and letā€™s do this.

2 Likes

this is happening this weekendā€¦ might be interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/events/232220437219904/

1 Like

Where are the bees and when do you plan to do this?

Is there a better time of the year to remove them? I will need to get some bushed trimed back firat,

Earlier in the year is best, also trimming the bushes when itā€™s too cold for the bees to fly is a good idea. Ultimately itā€™s up to you, Iā€™m in no hurry and would be happy to help a beekeeper from the space get the bees whenever they are ready.