Makers, Please Vote In The Following Poll To Decide Upcoming Science Committee Videos

Hello Makers,

I hope you are all doing well. I have a lot of scripts and video series planned out for release on the Dallas Makerspace learn website. There are so many things I want to cover, but I want to focus on topics that the community finds interesting first and foremost. Science is far broader than just physical science. There is management science, social science, experimental design, applied logics and mathematics, computer science and so forth. The Dallas Makerspace science committee will make content for all of these topics and more!

That is why I am posting a makerspace-wide poll to see which video series to make and release first. I have created a list of ideas for videos that I can comfortably do in a reasonable amount of time once I get my hands on the equipment. You can choose up to 3 options in the poll to help you if you can’t decide which topic you like most (if any at all).

Let me know in the comments if you have any suggestions or any thoughts on the options that I’ve presented.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: You do not need to know the mentioned languages ahead of time prior to enrolling to get value out of these classes, though knowing them a little will obviously make the class easier to follow.

• Intro to the Design of Formal Languages and Logics for Math, Philosophy and Computer Science
  • Time Series Analysis and Forecasting with R and the Tidyverse
  • Linear Algebra and NumPy for Data Science and Scientific Computing
  • Intro to Operations Research and Optimization Techniques for Business with Google OR Tools
  • Analysis of Social Networks in R/Python
  • Design of Observational Studies with a focus on Economics
  • Basic History of Economic Thought from 1500s to WWII

0 voters

Design of Formal Languages and Logics for Math, Philosophy and Computer Science will cover formal definitions and intuitions behind languages, alphabets, strings, regular expressions, finite automata, lexing, parsing, context-free grammars and so forth.

Linear Algebra and Numpy for Data Science and Scientific Computing will cover matrices, matrix operations, matrix degeneracy, solving linear equations, matrix decompositions and least squares solutions.

Time Series Analysis and Forecasting with R and the Tidyverse will cover properties of time series, stationarity and non-stationary models, the tidyverse packages for R, frequency analysis, forecasting models and more!

Analysis of Social Networks in R/Python will cover basic graph features that help us identify communities, clusters, influencers and so forth. We will look at graph decompositions and visualizations in R and Python. We may also cover graph machine learning algorithms and recommender systems.

Basic History of Economic Thought from 1500s to WWII will cover Physiocrats, Mercantilists, Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Marx & Engels, the Marginal Revolution of the 1870s, the rise of neoclassical economic theory, Joseph Schumpeter, Hayek and John Maynard Keynes. Various models of economic phenomena are discussed along with drawbacks.

Design of Observational Studies with a focus on Economics will cover basic experimental design, propensity score matching, hypothesis tests, robustness tests and causal inference. We will use several economic datasets to give a general flavor of observational study design and its pitfalls.

Intro to Operations Research and Optimization Techniques for Business with Google OR Tools will cover google OR tools, Theory of Constraints, TQM, JIT, break-even analysis, critical path analysis, job scheduling, inventory management, linear programming, quadratic programming, constraint programming and various combinatorial optimization methods that will find applications in everything from vehicle routing to supply chain management under uncertainty.

1 Like

I wanna get to at least 20 voters before i close the poll, so I’m bump the thread.

1 Like

Bumpy Bump Bump

Super interested in economic thought.

In a complete reversal of fate, Social Networks and Economics comes out a hit. The field is evening out. The race might be tight!