Makers Gym - Audio Visual Makerspace Frisco opens 4/20/21

So this wasn’t even on my radar - a friend on the east coast sent this to me.

https://makersgym.com/en

4 Likes

Seems more like a wework with studio space than a makerspace in our vein. Looks like a pretty sweet setup though, maybe we should copy their space for digital media.

Wowza… they most certainly are not cheap.

4 Likes

Yep, set up like a specialized coworking space. Pretty cool though. I do like the idea of taking some inspiration from their setup, especially if they do well.

It’s in the initial description no less:

We are a new creative co-working concept

With the kind of money they’re demanding they can afford all the bling and the staff to keep it 'Gram photoshoot ready at all times.

3 Likes

Venture X is also offering something similar. They have an office space in Lewisville with a couple media studios in it. Their booked times include a technician to operate the equipment. You should think of these places as a YouTuber / Podcaster studio rental. They keep the equipment, location and services up and running and you office out of them while also having studio when you need it. The pricing is actually pretty aggressive considering. Even a small channel or podcast could likely afford it.

I gave Dane at Venture X a tour with @Lampy last week. He is trying to figure out if there is a crossover opportunity for them and the space. Thinking, possibly hosting classes at Venture X, offering special pricing for podcasting or video recording in their studio to DMS members, or even desk and office space deals for DMS members.

They’re space is very nice and a possible grow to space for members that have started something and need something more permanent. Funny how this popped up just a couple days after his tour, great minds must be thinking alike.

2 Likes

Wow, from the Makers Gym - Terms and Conditions
Sorry, its not in our interest at all to follow this part of their business model. In fact, it’s the exact opposite of the culture of the DMS.

BlockquoteI
NTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS The Website and its entire contents, features, and functionality (including but not limited to all information, software, text, displays, images, video, and audio, and the design, selection, and arrangement thereof) are owned by the Company, its licensors, or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. These Terms of Use permit you to use the Website for your personal, non-commercial use only. You must not reproduce, distribute, modify, create derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, republish, download, store, or transmit any of the material on our Website, except as follows:

Your computer may temporarily store copies of such materials in RAM incidental to your accessing and viewing those materials.

You may store files that are automatically cached by your Web browser for display enhancement purposes.

You may print one copy of a reasonable number of pages of the Website for your own personal, non-commercial use and not for further reproduction, publication, or distribution.

If we provide desktop, mobile, or other applications for download, you may download a single copy to your computer or mobile device solely for your own personal, non-commercial use, provided you agree to be bound by any end user license agreement for such applications.

If we provide social media features with certain content, you may take such actions as are enabled by such features.

You must not:

Modify copies of any materials from this site.

Use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences, or any graphics separately from the accompanying text.

Delete or alter any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices from copies of materials from this site.

Access or use for any commercial purposes any part of the Website or any services or materials available through the Website.

If you wish to make any use of material on the Website other than that set out in this section, please address your request to: [email protected].

If you print, copy, modify, download, or otherwise use or provide any other person with access to any part of the Website in breach of the Terms of Use, your right to use the Website will stop immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made. No right, title, or interest in or to the Website or any content on the Website is transferred to you, and all rights not expressly granted are reserved by the Company. Any use of the Website not expressly permitted by these Terms of Use is a breach of these Terms of Use and may violate copyright, trademark, and other laws.

2 Likes

My friend (who asked me about it) wanted to see if I knew anyone so his nephew could get tickets to get in. All of this I know you don’t care about.
Aside: his nephew developed this app http://monetimze.com/ it may or may not be of interest.

Anyhoo… I wrote the generic email concerning tickets about the opening (tomorrow 4-20) and this is the reply.

If you want to stick a head in.

1 Like
1 Like

Suspect the excerpt you have cited is standard commercial website boilerplate. TL;DR they assert ownership of all website content - conveniently many of the gracious allowances they’re making either align with how computers operate or make weird assertions that I suspect fair use caselaw would defeat in court.

Also, note that they’re a for-profit entity:

DMS has had mutually beneficial relationships with such in the past.

1 Like

Am I misreading or do you only get a handful of hours to book a room with the memberships and then have to pay by the hour after that.

See that’s the way I was reading it as well.

But they do have Beer on tap.

1 Like

I’m assuming that isn’t included either…

I mean, I don’t really see the issue but maybe I am missing something. They are just talking about their website not sure what it has to do with use of the space at all

Doug, I really wouldn’t worry about that. It looks like pretty standard copy/paste for a website terms of service. My guess is you may be the first person to have actually read it. :rofl:

5 Likes

The website COULD mean the equivalent of our wiki and discourse. Sorry not turning over to them my I.P. because of a boilerplate

Whereas we use Creative commons

Well if it isn’t, I believe they have to have a TABC number. No expert here though. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express 2 weeks ago.

Years ago, TGIFridays corporate off 635 & Coit had free beer. I believe that area was dry at the time.

If they charge premium coin for access to their premises, marketed as a co-working space for digital media freelancers and also claim to own customers’ work product that will ruin their existence in the market about the instant they file legal papers.

Could always ask, but I’m 100% certain that’s boilerplate that came with the template and governs the site. That and “Website” is called out in the General Terms and Conditions section (not “the service”, “the facility”, “the equipment”, nor anything else nefarious). In fact, “Website” looks to be the only contextual formal noun defined in the document … and referenced some 130 times:

On the other hand, if you search some of the clauses in the website TOS, you’ll find the same language all over the place. For example, DMS Discourse Guidelines clearly large swaths from the discourse.org guidelines.

We’re a charity, they’re a business.

This does seem very much like WeWork but with AV equipment. I could see it being useful for professional users, very different kind of use-case then a makerspace like DMS.