Makercrawl: The Craft Guild

Craft guild just snuggled in near us and they aren’t in 100% move in status. Took them two years to find a building and 9months to build it out. They are also a non-profit, have three staff members and nine board members. They have a yearly membership fee and classes are higher. Access to the building is during classes and some areas have lab time for a nominal fee.

I’m going to post my (limited) pictures and I hope others from the crawl follow suit.

1 Like

Things I learned: gallery with work up front for sale, organization of each room was impeccable, layout of classroom and use of the space was fantastic, how they packed a room was obviously designed with a designer, they teach very specific classes and the focus is laser sharp within each area. They were very kind and I enjoyed the class quite a bit. They are going to come to us on a visit next.

3 Likes

I like websites for info, follow up, “am I thinking of the right place?”, etc.
The Craft Guild

2 Likes

The Craft Guild has been a fixture in the the Dallas arts community for over
50 years

They host 2 shows a year also and have for at least 30 years
Their spring show is coming up in April or Mall

I would like to point out something, Look at the height of the work table? They do not seem be
tall like ours

1 Like

What a nice FA area! I’s all ther pottery hand or wheel made, or do they also make mold cast?

I didn’t see any molds. The shelved pieces up high are pieces collected from artisans who’ve done workshops over the last 40yrs at the craft guild.

1 Like

They have some very talented artist. Is the studio open lab or do they have class time?

It’s a mix depending on the class/media

I’ve helped teach some ceramics classes at the Craft Guild and they didn’t have any molds. That was, however, while they were limited at Valley View. With ceramics, I think the studio was open from 1-7 on Sundays for anyone in another class. Most of the ceramics classes were just “you can do whatever you want, if you want to learn something just ask.” Plenty of people sign up just to use the studio. I don’t see any regularly meeting classes on the calendar now, but they have an one-time introductory class on the 16th. That’s always a basic hand building project, but you get a runthrough of everything they have available.

1 Like