MakerCrawl Review - Denton

DMS went up to Denton yesterday for our first maker crawl. The objective was to share the maker spirit and see what resources are available/growing in our common area. It was well received both by the places we visited and the makers who went on the journey. The next one will be in Dallas in about three months. I feel we learned from this one and the next one for even more shenanigans.
I see this as a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know each other a bit better, for us to network with the maker community outside of our common circle and just to see what type of resources are developing all around us.

We started off at The Forge which sees itself as an open community driven resource. The focus of the residents tend to be 3D printing and electronics. Its in a stage of growth.
Snack break
Stoke was the next stop - a communal workplace, it’s free on Fridays, the mortgage is paid for by the city and has about 20 active members currently. It’s in a time of transition. It also typically has free beer and snacks.
The Factory was next out at UNT - they are loaded down with resources for the space that they have and they want to have open access for all tool and resources for all of UNT. One of the challenges they have is promoting themselves and getting the word out to what was possible with the resources they have.
Scrap this is one of my favorite strange places to poke around. It’s basically a thrift store for supplies. It survives on five paid employees and volunteers. *Next to scrap they have a bike shop that helps people figure out how to take apart and repair bikes - next time kiddos
Jeff and Angelas workshop- Jeff lead us around his house and showed us many of his treasures, showed us his glorious woodpile, and toured his workshop. He believes in being a true stuart of the materials available and is wise in how he consumes and uses tools.
Jeff sent us on our way with snacks in hand and we went to East Side for some communal reflection. I was only able to stay for a bit as I had my mom watching my son at home. Next time we will need some sort of indicator that “makers come here”.

I took a bunch of notes about each place and will write them up when my son isn’t on a minecraft youtube binge.

Here’s a link to pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-9lwxsfTaRgLTBnMDVwOGV4SVU?usp=sharing

Thank you to: @cmcooper0 @Adam_Oas @Shirley @Lampy Kelly B, Michael P, Courtney B, and (other) Adam for being willing guineapigs in this adventure. A super thank you to member @jeffbob and his girlfriend Angela for letting us come over, hosting an unexpected giveaway and for always being so very thoughtful.

12 Likes

Thanks to @uglyknees for putting the Maker Crawl, was lots of fun and met very interesting people. Definitely going again on the next adventure.

3 Likes

It was a fun day, thanks for setting this up.

I’m deleting some VERY old emails (2014 people) in a funeral pyre of wasted bits and bites. I saw this and I thought I should preserve the info for future crawls.

Makerspace -3020 N. Locust St. Denton Library (The Forge) 1-2p Trey Ford 940-349-8756 technology librarian
The Factory – Will get back to us within the next two days 940-565-2411 UNT Makerspace Saturday 10-6p
Open Workplace - Stoke Kary Montz is the contact but unknown who will do tour 2:30-3 608 East Hickory Street, Suite 128 Denton
Makerspace - The Factory - manager will be calling me back within two days
Creative Reuse center - Scrap - Kari will show us around shopping if it’s desired 4:30-5 940-808-1611
Eating/Social/Drinks - Eastside

Groups

Techmill Denton 608 E. Hickory #128. Denton, Texas 76205

– [email protected] Kyle Taylor is organizer on Meetup

[email protected]

Denton Maker Collective – online group (887 members)

Denton Startup

Lean Startup Dallas

@opendenton Open Denton

Stoke – coworking space not open Saturday 608 East Hickory Street, Suite 128
Denton, Texas, 76205

@eastsidedenton Eastside

Denton We do it – [email protected] - contact for writeup about meetup

2 Likes

i had a handful of problems with using the UNT makerspace when i was a student. I’m about to start a summer semester and i don’t anticipate using their space. direct access to the tools is rare and I presume it’s red tape to prevent silly kids from hurting themselves. just my two cents.

I wind up getting way more done just from the tools in my apartment in denton. also apparently the unt campus also has a wood shop / tool lending system but i havent seen documentation much of it.

I just don’t have time when i’m in school because i’m working my rear end off on their comp sci classes and lack the downtime. maybe if i was a business major i’d have a lot less time dedicated to studying :wink:

EDIT: Scrap is a golden exception it is FANTASTIC. I wound up getting all my starter veg tan leather. It can be hit or miss. Flexibility is alwas key.

1 Like