Maker-y business opportunity - yard sign business for sale

I got an email today from the folks that run a “yard art” business in East/North/Northeast Dallas. They make the school spirit signs that people put in their yards to brag on their kids - sports, music, cheer, theater, Scouting, whatever. They have contacts with most of the area PTA and booster clubs to be on “approved” lists that go out to parents.

Anyway, the owners are looking for someone to buy the business. The web site is http://www.lonestaryardart.net
and the contact info (obfuscated a little bit) is:
lonestaryardart
at
sbcglobal
dot
net

We had one of their signs for our “band kid,” but I am otherwise unaffiliated with these people.

3 Likes

I’m wondering why their not shooting for investors at a percentage instead of selling 100% whole?

Do they have their books in order and are they open to investors?

Retirement, maybe?

1 Like

When I hear business for sale that means one of two things in my industry; a Nigerian Prince or a VC selling off parts of their latest startup for M&A growth.

So that got me to go digging around and well ok; guess this isn’t either case but Retirement makes sense.

Yeah, I’m totally unaware of their reasons - they sent an email to all their customers and that’s all I’ve got :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool, I’d be interested but concerned that is very “niche” style business.

If I had to guess, I’d guess their kids have grown up and they’re tired of dealing with some of the kinds of people that order “My Kid Is In Band” signs for their yard. Myself not withstanding, of course. :smiley:

2 Likes

This looks to be one off sales. I would bet they are making 3x their cost in materials, excluding cost of labor. These are fun gigs when you are involved and want to be crafty. But, dealing with schools often means violating copyright and trademarks all over the place. Because your elementary through high school as well as children’s athletics just steal everything and see no issue as they are rarely sued. But, when you are a single point provider you can become a nice enough target for a suit, talking from experience on this one. Odds are you are not buying much more than an old website, a vinyl cutter, and possibly a heat press. Everything else will be up to you as schools are also often not loyal customers.

I wish them luck in selling their business.

2 Likes

I’m with you on this one @Nick it seems to me that one would only end up with old marketing material, the tools, lots of left over expenses, and a few business accounts.

Odds are you are not buying much more than an old website, a vinyl cutter, and possibly a heat press.

That’s not also accounting for the accounting books, copyrights/trademarks (if any), and customer sheets, which pro-tip to anyone buying a company be smart and also ask for these things along with any patents and also evaluate the labor base.

M&A’s are tricky things and one should be sure to get their value back quickly for what they’re buying into.

1 Like