Maker things to do in New Mexico?

Stop in downtown Taos and check out the art scene if you’re taking the US-64 route between those two. The Catholic church has free parking. There’s tons of cool painting, sculpture, and jewelry. I personally love Letherwerks (although my wallet certainly does not).

Oh, and stop in at Michael’s Kitchen or Orlando’s. Fabulous breakfast cafe and New Mexican, respectively.

3 Likes

Yep, taking 64. I will add this to the list!

How long are you going to be up around Angel Fire, and when are you going? I know the area pretty well.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about this…

2 Likes

Just remember that if you are at a national monument, park, etc. that it’s illegal to take anything natural out with you. When we were at Petrified Forest a kid’s parents got slapped with a $900 ticket because he attempted to pocket a piece of petrified wood the size of a quarter.

1 Like

Check out this place I know George and I have met him in person He is great guy

http://www.tesuqueglass.com/George-Ogrady.html

1 Like

Without a doubt one of my favorite experiences. Itching to get back. Road trip?

2 Likes

They actually enforced the penalty? No warning?

1 Like

Here’s a “makery” thing. . . :smiley: They “make” good drinkin’ liquor at Santa Fe Spirits. Colkegan is an up-and-coming American single-malt (can’t call it Scotch). Take a tour, see how they make it, drink samples, Uber back to hotel.

1 Like

Wrote the ticket. I’m sure a judge will give them a break. They are very serious about it.

2 Likes

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I included as many suggestions as I could in the limited time that I had. I definitely need to make another trip to New Mexico - I think I enjoyed Angel Fire/Taos more than Colorado. It was a great trip with beautiful scenery, hiking, fishing, paddle boats and so many makery things to do that I couldn’t do them all. The people were also incredibly nice.

First, I went to New Mexico Clay in Albuquerque. It was worth the extra driving to stop here. All of the employees were very nice and I got a tour of where they make clay and glazes. I messed up and didn’t buy enough clay for another mica event but I do have some white mica clay to share.

Meow Wolf was amazing. It’s not a rip off of Myst at all, but I felt like I was inside of a Myst game. It was one of my favorite experiences and I highly recommend it. I would seriously consider a road trip to the other locations once they open.

Other than the staircase, a rock shop and a restaurant, downtown Santa Fe seemed like a waste of time. I wish I had gone to the Santa Fe Children’s museum instead.

Enchanted Circle Pottery (http://www.enchantedcirclepottery.com) was a neat place to stop. Kevin and JoAnne were awesome and gave me a tour which included looking at the wood fire kiln that they built.

I also highly recommend Taos Pueblo. The tour was neat, the people were very friendly and you could walk inside the buildings (that were shops) and look around. You can buy bread and cookies made in the ovens. I spoke with someone who said he mixes his own clay from the mountain and fires it in this fireplace (picture taken with permission). He sold me a little bit of the clay he was mixing - I’m not going to try to fire it at DMS, I might try firing it in a charcoal grill.

Finally the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge was worth visiting and we drove a couple of miles past the bridge to look at the Earthship houses.

Hopefully we can go back and try to incorporate more suggestions next time. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would love to see us try the charcoal grill pit firing outside of course

1 Like