Maker stories 1

Yesterday morning I saw someone I had not yet met carrying out the sawdust drum from the woodshop. On his way back I stopped him and thanked him for doing that and he replied that it was no big deal he just took a turn to take it out. Later in the day I saw him again and I stopped him and I spoke to him asking his name and what did he create in the woodshop. Turns out he has a huge workshop in Sanger and that DMS had a few more tools than he has and he wanted to use something in the woodshop that he did not have at Sanger. He said he was inspired by DMS to start his own Makerspace eventually, working with troubled kids to help them learn skills that could change their lives.

Stories like this, the people here that are so excited about creating, this my favorite thing about DMS. Very inspirational!

One day, please introduce me to him.

I have a workshop at home that would rival our electronics lab and would love to help him with electronics related topics.

Raymond

4 Likes

Might point him towards Sanger ISD too. They had a program somewhat similar to that called the Journey Program for a while. Students were enrolled in a woodshop class and also did social skills and counseling to improve their problem solving and emotional regulation.

4 Likes

Done! i would be most happy to do so, you rock, sir. :blush:

3 Likes

Ya grab me if you see him as well.
My wish is to build a home for wayward children - exploding with mac and cheese and realtime talks. I would love to see what he has cooking and see if I could help!
It’s amazing when we take a minute and get to know each other isn’t it? Amazing people!

6 Likes

You guys are making my day. And if that isn’t enough I’m sharing two more amazing maker stories of gentlemen I have met this past week.

6 Likes

Nice,

I like the idea of Maker Stories and I have so many from the years at DMS. As I’m nose deep in Pyro right now, I’ll tell a story about meeting Ken @Lampy my Pyro Leader!

Ken joined DMS a little while after I did, back in the under 100 member days of Ladybird. We met at the space and had a lot in common as we both work in Design and enjoy bitching about the crazy expectations of customers. Ken eventually put on a class on for building black powder rockets with a mallet and dies. I sat in the class and found out that there was Chemistry, Geometry, Physics, Machining, and Craftsmanship required to make these rockets that in the end just went BOOM. It is an art between design, cost, and efficiency of lift. I was hooked! But, I didn’t have the tools or experience to get started in the hobby on my own.

After the class, Ken shared his equipment, knowledge, and product with me and we went to my first Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas (PAT) event to make rockets and other BOOM stuff back in 2013 or 2014 aka a long time ago. He even paid my way into the event. It was the best event I had ever been to. A real Willy Wonka’s Factory Tour, I got to do everything you were told not to as a kid under the guidance of knowledgeable people. I thought everything I was doing was illegal and unsafe, but under the right setting and scenario I could do it without these burdens. I found out that day I had more Freedom in this world than I thought had before.

From then on Ken and I have been great friends. We have split multi-thousand dollar purchases to further our Pyro hobby and build ever better rockets and BOOMERS! We have gone on cross country trips to Massive Pyro Events, networked with legends of the hobby, and now are both on the board of PAT the original group that opened my eyes to this magic. All of this would of never happened had I not run into Lampy aka Ken at DMS. I would literally have less freedom.

DMS is an amazing group of individuals trying to build a community. I have many stories like this with other members like @Gimli, @nickdangerous , @oyetkin, @uglyknees, @Photomancer, into seemingly perpetuity. Shoot I even have great stories with individuals I’ve butted heads with like @Robert_Davidson. If you join DMS for just the tools you are missing out on the other 90% of this group.

7 Likes

I am all about hearing these kind of stories. Why do I feel like rule #10 may have something to do with you and @Lampy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@Lampy also does exploding Ice Cream - Cryotechnics

4 Likes

Even @Robert_Davidson has been known to light a few rockets! We have an event on May 19th & 20th if you would like to attend. Too bad it coincides with Maker Faire. Some day we are going to put on a demo at a Maker Faire.

@Nick and I now have significant tools for pyro but are really happy to show how it is done.

:rocket:

2 Likes

Apply to do the Kansas City Makerfair June 23-24 (I think)

KC Makerfaire Nice webpage
@Adam_Oas Is this something we’d like to do at some point.

KC Makerfaire Nice webpage
@Adam_Oas Is this something we’d like to do at some pint.

1 Like

Are you asking if we would want to put on a makerfaire, or attend the KC one? Also, a pint sounds lovely at this moment…

1 Like

The latter. It may even be something that is coordinated with other Makerspaces in North Texas to promote the movement - and spread out the effort!

The Makerfaire might even be coordinated with our traditional Open House, which might be moved back a few weeks so it’s cooler.

2 Likes

@Adam_Oas let’s talk. I have a spreadsheet that will put spreadsheet any spreadsheet about potential makerfaire that I put together.