Maker challenges - something I found in San Diego

I’m traveling and I was going to stop in at a hippie inspired marketplace and I found this:

https://www.opensourcemakerlabs.com/page/maker-challenges

2 Likes

Looks like they do a lot of cool things. I like to look at some other aspects and do some comparison shopping as well - to see how we compare in value. I think it’s good for members to to realize what a bargain we are. Yes, it lets us brag.

Okay how do we compare in costs:
Their lowest rate is $70 over a lot categories, Basic rate is $140. We inexpensive.

Just for fun I calculated what our monthly income would be at their rates $191,600/mo vs ~ $67,000/mo. Plus whatever small fortune they bring in for class fees … see below.

Hours open, closed on Mondays, 6 hrs on Tues - Fri (24hrs total) 9 hours on Sat 33 hours total. DMS = 168 hrs

They probably don’t have a storage problem, they don’t have any free storage that I can see.

Some things we can get from them:

They use a matrix for training - @AlexRhodes @John_Marlow

Age policy similar to ours, a little tighter. I like this age matrix, we should develop one - easy to see and know.

Classes are a lot more expensive. Wood Shop basics is $60 for a lot less equipment
@fedakkee would be carrying the Space, $60 per CAD class … and you supply your computer!

Can’t imagine what a laser class would cost if they had a laser.

Let’s face it, DMS Rocks.

4 Likes

Ir is very likely that their rent and such is more than ours

I agree, but I doubt they have 16,500 sf., clealrly do not have eqquipment we do, and rent is not that much higher based on dues, which ours is half of their lowest rate and 1/3 of their standard rate and only available 20% of the time vs DMS. Craig’s list for similar sized building in their area rent is about 165% of what we pay per sq. So it appears to be more of a Tech shop.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/off/d/industrial-warehouse-space/6529923885.html
They also don’t claim to be a non-profit, an earlier groups SEDS was that joined with OSML. that was, but no mention of that later.

1 Like

Indeed. There’s a reason I came here instead of the Rockwall one ten minutes away and no tolls that I could go to far more often.

I agree the tool matrix is kinda awesome. I can see us doing mass cert on say a Level 2 Saturday too.

1 Like

Commercial space rent it ridiculous in Ca!