Mad props to 'Team MultiCAM'

I was up last evening turning thick boards into thin boards, and the whole time I was doing my thing for me, @themitch22 and @Brian were working to bring the MultiCAM into better working order. (edit: I believe @tapper may have had a hand in there too)

Phrases overheard included something along the lines of “it’s still off by 5-thousandths.” Shims made of energy drink cans and aluminum foil were involved.

Thanks, guys, for doing what you do!
(If others were involved before or after I left or when I wasn’t paying attention, I meant no slight by not mentioning you by name!)

13 Likes

Hope they do not have to resort to stone knives and bearskins…

2 Likes

I asked for an aluminum can for a shim and got a bud light can lol. If only David was there to see my “Aluminoids” creation lol

But yeah I think it’s trammed better than it ever was since we got the machine. It’s great practice for me to fix our machine.

Anyone know what happened to our Enroute license? @AlexRhodes

7 Likes

Are you saying that is an approved MultiCAM service procedure? Hey, y’all, hold my beer…

5 Likes

Gonna throw this one on Mitch. Alex and I helped a little bit, but Mitch took the lead on getting the machine trammed and ready to run.

12 Likes

Mitch is now our Multicam man!! By the way, Machine shop has shim stock, but the if you really want to hacker it with aluminum cans, go with diet cans, no sticky sugar residue.

3 Likes

I did mention something like that. @themitch22 was rather insistent the solution include something repurposed.

Tall beer can was the sacrifice.

2 Likes

If it was Coors Lite, same as water. Should be okay.

6 Likes

I hope they rinsed out all the urine before they repurposed the can…

4 Likes

3 Likes

It was installed on the Machine shop computer when that existed way back when. That didn’t work out for us and we decided to switch to Vcarve because training is easier, more information exists on the web and there are already tutorials. Another reason we moved away from it was because it required a dongle to work. We should still have the disc and dongle in the server room but I haven’t looked/seen it in years.

Why do you ask? Is there something that cant be done in Vcarve that you need Enroute for?

1 Like

I was just wondering because I know MultiCAM pushes for it but there’s a ton of CAM programs, especially Fusion 360’s CAM which I have not tried yet. I have a copy of Enroute and was wondering if training on Enroute would be worth it at the space.

For shim applications with shear load, the plastic coating on most aluminum cans can act as a lubricant, and cause the shear load to be transferred to only areas without shims, or the fasteners. Maybe not an issue here, but something to think about next time you reach for a can when other sources of uncoated shim stock are available.

1 Like