Machining 11spd Cassette for 10spd Hub

Application: https://bikerumor.com/2018/02/01/lasco-concept-turns-11-speed-cassettes-fit-10-speed-wheels/

I purchased an older 2011 wheelset that is only compatible with a 10-speed cassette; no 11-speed conversion kit exists for this particular wheel/hub. I need to have the rear of the cassette machined by 1.8mm for it to fit, can anyone point me in the right direction? Much appreciated!

All the best,
Daniel

I’ve got some sand paper let’s get to work!

In all seriousness, get trained on the lathe, run a few test parts paying special attention to making sure that your part is mounted “true” to both the chuck and rotationally (for balance) and it should be within your grasp after running a few jobs.

Worst case is you put it on your bike and it falls apart because you took too much off or you machined it out of true and it wobbles. Then you just buy another and try again. What’s the part’s cost if you need to do a couple of them to get it right?

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. If I end up having to do some trial and error, I’ll look for several high mileage cassettes, shouldn’t cost me much.

1 Like

Go for 1x12, the extra big ring makes a huge difference.

1 Like

30 years ago I used a similar predicament to learn to build wheels. Bought a new (new to me at least) hub and rebuild the wheel. I think I had to buy new spokes too since the flange diameter was different. Coincidentally, Bicycling magazine had run a 3 or 4 part series on wheel building about the same time.

The smart thing to do then would be to sell the old hub but that’s not how bike mechanics think… :smiley:

The wheel I’m “converting” happens to be a 2011 HED Stinger 9 disc wheel, it cannot be broken down and rebuilt. HED does not offer the 11spd conversion kit for this wheel as a result. The machining process works, I just need to find someone locally who can help me knock it out. Thanks for the response.

Yikes! Yeah, that takes “change the hub” out of play for sure!

1 Like