Machine shop tables

We have discussed in some of the past meetings smaller tables to place some of our projects & tools on. I would like to bring that discussion back. I would like to see some smaller table ideas.

Think of the possibility if we had tables with timers on them that if you left items on it too long, it would drop the items off the table… :grin:

6 Likes

Would a rolling cart be useful?
Jim

Then we’d be picking up more junk from the floor!

Wheels on tables are very useful IMHO.

The difficulty with rolling carts is that they roll away and have to be hunted down.

1 Like

Then it is a justification for a mini-skid steer to clean it up :laughing:

4 Likes

If we did such a thing (assuming the committee can actually manage it), what about using some more two post between the mills and lathes. little tight but could fit a handful of shelves and it’s already dead floorspace

Would work for keeping the smaller/more delicate projects and personal endmills/tooling from being damaged or misplaced from the blue table.

I suggest we decide three things so we can narrow our search:

(1) Rolling or stationary?
(2) Height? (30" / 36" / 42")
(3) Preferred size

We might also need to decide whether we want a shelf on the table. My personal preference would be no shelf - because those tend to accumulate junk - but that’s a committee/chair decision.

Maybe this Saturday we can mock up a couple pieces of cardboard to see what size table(s) would actually fit.

Unfortunately, the McMaster-Carr tables have gone up 50% in price since we looked at them in April.

3 Likes

I prefer no shelf because then rolling tool boxes a can be stored there with tools put away - rolling tool boxes are then not stored in aisles.

1 Like

If we go with rolling I’d push for locking wheels.

1 Like

It would be easier to push w/o the locks.

2 Likes

I’d like to see two roll around table top carts, with no shelves above or below the table top. About 36" height (similar to kitchen counters) but with small area, say, in the 24"x30" range. No wheel locks needed since the floor is fairly level and these are not work tables; but, if the most economical version comes with wheel locks, take it.

Regards,
Bob
These would be light weight. There is no expectation of installing the big ass vice on one of these or that these would even be used to transport a Kurt vice. Nor should a roll around tool box of substantial weight be placed on top. Really, these are for spreading out the specimens, stock pieces, measuring devices, small tools and drawings relevant to the day’s work plan because there is very little such space at the mill or lathe. Furthermore, the user would be expected to leave the cart top clean of all such items and debris such as metal chips and oil spills before leaving the space.

Regards,
Bob

2 Likes

Ive been toying around with many ideas. Now these are just to get the creative juices flowing. Its just a start. They are pretty light weight.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200916335_200916335?isSearch=102885

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200712274_200712274

I have one of these carts at home, similar to 2nd one above, but less cost. Supports 500Lbs - This cart also has large rubber wheels so chips won’t snag it all the time.

While I like the stainless steel prep cart (top) without a lip on top, stuff will constantly be rolling off. These size carts aren’t real big so will work nicely around the machines.

The carts @MTLmanglr has shown would work nicely also. But might be better for PIG if they need one. After cleaning/degreasing they would be less likely to scratch plastic than metal.

Another consideration: will any of these roll and fit under the larger tables so when not in use are stowed out of the way.

I’m assuming these tables are just to hold someone’s toolbox and calipers and project components while they work on a machine - not to be used like an anvil. So your description of “light weight” is probably adequate. Most people aren’t going to lift a tool box that weighs more than about 30 pounds onto a table anyway.

There is always this style of hospital style bed table

strong text

Thats kinda another style I was looking at, Cantilever style tables.

Ive even thought if we used a cantilever style shelf, we could then have say a stack of shelves. Then if you needed more space to put your stuff while working, you could grab an extra shelf or two.

Then again it may sound like a decent idea but in reality doesn’t work so well.

Ive thought of styles like the foldable similar to this as well

Regarding the Rubbermaid carts, we could get them in blue to make them easier to track. I will admit they are sturdy as hell. Ive used them over the years & they tend to hold up really well.

Again they are just ideas to get creative juices flowing and discussion moving.

2 Likes

They are very sturdy. We have dumped hundreds of lbs. of parts on them and it bearly bows. They do however take up a lot of room.

1 Like

Dis my suggestion. We have red for logistics.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-2504BLU/Utility-Carts/Uline-Utility-Cart-45-x-25-x-33-Blue

Cheap too

So we ordered a couple blue carts to give a try. We will see how they work. I have not marked the carts as machine shop or no storage on them yet.

7 Likes

yea! So long as no body borrows them they will work well. We just need to make it clear that anything left on them is dumpster fodder. I’ll see if we can make room to park them between the lathes and mills. Cheers!