Machine Shop simple tasks

Ive been culling through ideas of relative simple tasks over the. Past several weeks while I ponder other larger projects.

Machine shop simple tasks

Go through the red tool box.
Organize & take note of what appears to be missing. This includes items that may appear to be broken. In addition, sockets & wrenches of such that have appeared to disappear.

The main cabinet needs to be gone through. Organized in a meaningful manner.

General organization & clean up.

I’m not asking to take these tasks on alone or spend vast amounts of time on them, but every little bit helps.

Ideas for better organization & how to implement. Thought on this is to make items to be easy to be found & easily identifiable of where they go. Lastly the cost of implementation.

In the short future (Hopefully)in preparation for the move.
We will need to create new whips for the equipment.

Cable tray we will need to create prefab boxes for the electricians to tie into. This includes drilling holes & installing the plug.

3 Likes

Thank you @nicksilva for taking on some of the straightening up yesterday.

2 Likes

you’re welcome. I guess I’m the group janitor emeritus.

Same type of box used for the cable drops in the ceiling in the 102 flex area?
2 holes in diagonal corners ~1/4 inch - same prep?
Got boxes?

This will be in the near future. They will be drilled caddy corner, & grounding screw attached. Then attached with a beam clamp to the tray.

I should have the electrical boxes next week. The drilling will be the same as last time, 1/4" hole in opposite corners. This time we will have to drill and tape an 8-32 threaded hole in the side for the green grounding wire. Instructions will follow when the parts arrive.

3 Likes

Sounds like a job for item #6 on the donation list - the 6 position turret drill.
!) pilot drill
2) 1/4" drill
3) ~1/2" drill deburr (optional)
4) drill for 8-32 tap
5) deburr (optional)
6) 8-32 tap

I went thru the red toolbox and straightened up a bit - making sure screwdrivers are in the screwdriver drawer and wrenches are in the correct imperial or metric drawer, etc. and marked tools with blue paint. I didn’t inventory but there are quite a few duplicates of wrenches.

I went thru the black toolbox and added labels to drawers so we can see at a glance what is in them.
I went thru and straightened the HAAS toolbox.

The cabinets and Sherline toolbox still need straightening.
Cheers!

1 Like

I should be around later today. If someone tells me what I’m looking at to put things in the right place, I’m happy to help.

Natural fabrics and steel toe boots in metal shop/machine shop, right?

1 Like

Natural fabrics are important if welding in the metal shop. We don’t weld or require steel toe shoes in the machine shop. But we won’t stop you either.

2 Likes

Closed toes are required, and natural materials are best (leather / cotton doesn’t melt to your {skin/foot} if something hot hits you).

1 Like

Thank you again @nicksilva.

@Holliday thank you for your offer to help. I would say one of the easiest task but probably more time consuming is going through the red tool box. Drawer by drawer I’d like to know what we have & what’s missing or broken. Take for instance the wrench’s, if we have a 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 but are missing the 5/8”, that would be great. We can get replacements for it. Same goes for say screw drivers. If one has a half moon bend in it, we should probably replace it.

2 Likes

Hi y’all, I’m at the red cabinet ready to work. It’s very neat. As far as inventory, I don’t know the proper names of the tools. Does anyone have a link to a diagram, or, if you’re here, tell me what it’s called and I’ll write it down.

I’ll do a Google search in the meantime.

1 Like

Top two drawers are open end wrenches.
We should have every wrench between say 3/8- probably 15/16 in 1/16th increments. Metric we should have say 6 or 8 mm to probably 20 or 22mm
The socket drawers should be similar.

I’m expecting to be missing some.

2 Likes

@TBJK, I got through the first four drawers. The SAE units are not something I work with a lot, so you may need to move some things around.

I renamed the 3rd drawer “The Land of Misfit Toys” since I put all the random stuff that didn’t belong in the other drawers there. Maybe someone who knows where these things go can re-home them.

Here’s the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u8ajGpUVApcI5jJ2i7Cq7PzAkqQ976_PxgJAmquxiSk/edit?usp=sharing

Here’s the PDF:

Machine Shop Red Cabinet - Copy of Copy of Sheet1 2.pdf (41.9 KB)

If you have any trouble with the downloads, let me know and I can email them to you.

Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

LMAO thats great. Thank you @Holliday for helping out.

1 Like