Machine Shop Minutes & Chair Election

Machine Shop Meeting for March held Tuesday and Wednesday the 14th & 15th.

First on a very sad note, the passing of Rob Johnson is truly tragic, so much life and vitality to be lost to the world by someone so young. He was a very important part, contributor, and leader to Machine Shop’s recent revival. Alex Rhodes has placed a donation box out in the lobby. Please contribute as a way of saying thanks for his contribution to the Dallas Makerspace and in remembering him. The time he gave us was time they also gave sharing him with us.

My prayers to his family.

Attendance:
Total of 20 unique individuals (about three at both) attended over the two nights plus three proxies. Great to see we are having a great turnout and there is interest reviving. April’s meeting will be on a Wednesday & Thursday. May will be Tuesday & Wednesday. Hopefully this alternating schedule will allow the maximum number to attend.

I believe we have one of the most highly attended committee meetings at the Space, we averaging over 20 since I started the two-night concept, it seems to be paying off and I thinks this portends great things for us going forward. Thanks for showing up and contributing. Even proxies show their interest in what we are doing.

Committee Chair Vote:
David Kessinger nominated unopposed as Chair: Vote 21-0. the fact that nobody else wanted the position means most likely they are wiser than I am. Like a lot of Chair positions, they are similar to lobster traps. But thank you for the privilege to continue.

Discussions
Discussed current status of Clausing Colchester lathe.
— Everything works, including the coolant system. Gives great showers when machine operating. When running at 2,500 rpm may be able to wash cars on lift. Fabricating and rebuilding splash guards. Expect lathe to in be use and replacing old lathe sometime as early as this week.
==> Update to status: Tim Bene @TBJK and Jay Phelps @jphelps have fabricated coolant splash shields, Tim plans on testing tomorrow, bring a towel just in case if you are there to witness.
==> Will be meeting with @David_Steele on Saturday, he has prepared a lesson plan for teaching Threading: Internal and External for the lathe. @John_Marlow and others have helped critique it. Thanks. I’m sure those classes will fill up.

So we’ll get that on the calendar. Tim, Jay, and Bob @BobKarnaugh have found all the gears for threading appear to work - getting a good user’s manual for this machine is a bit of a challenge

==> We will be donating our old lathe to another 501©(3) Makerspace starting out that is building up their collection. For about $250 they can have it back to where we are (we are keeping some tools). It is a usable and better than nothing. Don’t want spend months trying to get what would probably be only a couple hundred dollars. Took a year to get rid of Southbend lathe. So if you know of a Space, all they need to do is contact me, provide proof they are a 501(3)©, and we’ll arrange a pick-up date once we have The Clausing Colchester lathe on line.

However, we will sell the collet chuck as Walter @wandrson pointed out this is valuable and should be easy to sell. If the Space we donate the lathe to wants to buy it then they’ll have first shot at it. I don;t intend to sell until after lathe is gone.

Discussed other Machine Shop Safety Rules:
==>No compressed air guns for blowing chips, except one inside and integral to HAAS, in Machine Shop. Flying chips an eye hazard. No opposition, will be added.
==> When machine is operating, you can wear hearing protection - not mandatory, but no headphones. Listening to machine run is part operating it safely. No opposition, will be added.

==> Nick at Tuesday’s meeting wanted know if enclosed shoe requirement could be changed to allow sandals. A motion was made to keep the closed shoe rule to protect people from themselves: Passed 19-2, reaffirming closed shoes required when in Machine Shop. @Nick we’re looking out for you.

Discussion over what tools are desired.
==>Have put in for 50% funding match from BoD for Bench top lathe, mill and 10 HAAS tool changer repair kits. Total Request is for ~$2,100
BoD member Luke contacted me expressing some concerns/considerations of getting a Taig verses Sherline equipment we’re are planning on getting. He attended meeting, discussed his concerns and the group discussed pros and cons, a good discussion. A vote was taken at the end and it was felt that while the Taig may have some advantages for being somewhat more “Makerproof”, the decision to go with Sherline as they have some features, particularly the DRO’s which the Taig lacks, will better suit our needs and goals. So submitted request will not be changed.

However, we will put limits on stock sizes to be used. The main purpose of getting the smaller machines is our larger machines can’t really hold small parts that these machines can. So if a part can be properly made on the full size mill or lathe, they will have to made on those. This is a good result of response to Luke’s concerns. Thanks.

Note: I would like to see a Bench Top Machines Team formed to formulate training and rules for these machines.

Donations:
Richmeyer @richmeyer : Brought in a great collection of books and magazines on machining that covers a wide range. These are in the Machine Shop in a gray container. You are free to BORROW a couple at a time, read copy, etc. and return. Hopefully we can find some projects that Machine Shop and Metal Shop can cooperate on and build. There are some great things.

Rich is also going to donate the a Sherline lathe to add to our collection. Thank you! We’ll have outfit it but it will be compatible/interchangeable with our other machines we are going to get so we’ll get maximum return on this donation.

Future Purchases:
If there are tools you’d like to see us get, send the suggestion to me and post on Talk if you’re on that. Please provide any links you can find on it so we can look at it. We’ll compile a list so the Machine Shop committee can vote or what it’s priority of purchases should be.

My priority is to get any repair part needed so our machines can perform their basic functions. I want to see fully functioning machines before seeing extra capabilities on other machines. However, being the benevolent dictator I am, if the 2/3rds vote to override I’ll honor that. Of course you can always vote me out with 50% +1 … but I’ll call that bluff because it means someone has to take over.:slight_smile:

I will be buying a cabinet for the collection and storage of all our measuring tools. We now have a good collection of quality tools, other than the 6" calipers, we a great selection of professional grade Starrett, Brown & Sharp, and Mitoyo tools. Will develop a class on basic measurement tools.

Wiki Page:
I’ll be deleting the existing committee members on our page and putting names that have attended or proxied in. This is just to keep it more more accurate. If you want to add your name, please do so. Not being on that list doesn’t make your ideas or input any less valuable or important.

Formal meeting lasted about 70 minutes - missed the 1 hour target but still made it under the 75 minute target limit I hope to keep, but good discussions.

If you have anything to add/correct that I missed let me know, I’ll add/correct before putting on our Wiki page.

8 Likes

@ESmith @lukeiamyourfather @Lampy @Robert_Davidson @AlexRhodes This serves as the official results of Machine Shop Committee’s nomination of David Kessinger to continue as Chair for at the next BoD meeting

4 Likes

In light of the fact that @richmeyer is helping us with donation of the Sherline lathe, another benefit of getting the Sherline mill is that I believe they will use the same collets, etc. Much of the cost can be in the “accessories” so commonality is a good thing.

2 Likes

Added myself just now.

DROs can be easily added to the Taig, but we should take @richmeyer’s donation into consideration and as @John_Marlow said, stick with Sherline to use the same accessories/tooling.