Machine Shop Layout Ideas

How thick is material? How wide? There is a small one inside the Metal Shop, it’s painted gray.

12" x 24"

I need to cut it into 12" wide strips before cutting it into smaller segments to bend.

12" is probably the max. May be slightly less, it’ll be close.

Thanks. I’ll be up tomorrow night during open house.

Its a rough outline of what it could be shuffled around to right now. There are currently 4 pallets with machine shop items on them that need to be sorted through, would be better to put them in the middle temporarily than taking up general storage space.

A general approach question is if work tables should be in middle with only tools around perimeter or if we want pseudo walls around perimeter, or if it matters. Really only walkway between machine shop and fired arts is side that could be ‘walled’ or not

I like where the Blue and wood table are marked. If we end getting some smaller machines they’ll have to sit on something and it would be a good place for them.
-nick

Getting rid of the old cabinet with the small drawers today by the pallets.

There are several items I need some folks to tell me if it belongs to one of the lathes and is it needed or does it belong to another piece of equipment.

My goal is to have most of the stuff that is on that pallet gone and decided on. Lot of it is stuff we’ll never use or I have no idea what it was intended for. Will take a photo and start a topic on “Does anyone know what this is for?”

I want the junk out also.

Agree we can move Bridgeport another 18"-24" inches, but not closer to HAAS. I’ve seen large piece that extend past bed and if bed is all the way over could hit the HAAS. The HAAS steel waste drums will also be next to HAAS. In the future want only one barrel that is being filled and the next one there. Members of the HAAS Team don’t want anymore poly barrels after we use these since one got punctured and leaked coolant.
S

Several of us have also discussed how to manage the solid/liquid waste coming out of HAAS. If we can make a drainage tank so chips dried out and are small batches of just metal/plastic we can use dumpster - metal and plastic aren’t hazardous waste we dump that all the time from the various areas. This will mean getting rid of cuttings at 5 gallon orange HD bucket size loads and not 55 gallons. Then only the left over coolant will accumulate in barrel. This will greatly reduce mitigate disposal issues.

We’ll have more benches, probably narrower in depth than the work tables. Wide tables encourage people to leave stuff on them. I do want more open workbench areas.

The Cold Cold Cut saw will go along that edge where the tables are shown now. The 8’ or so roller support table is part of the Cold Cut Saw. Also be having along edge it will be easier to bring longer pieces over to it and load it. The electrical drop from the ceiling will just have to be moved over near it - no rewiring, just making it so it comes down through ceiling closer to new location. @dallasmagna Chuck, is just moving that over require an electrician? We would just be moving the entire thing over - not doing any rewiring or disconnecting anything.

A re-drop is easy as hell as long as it’s long enough. I’m guessing that it is probably metal flex above the ceiling.

It’s just moving laterally 2.5 ceiling tiles (~7.5’) and I would think it would actually be more aligned with breakers so won’t be shortening anything.

The old metal cabinet with small drawers has been pitched in dumpster! Will start picking at pallets.

Which one was this? The punched-card cabinet? E-lab might want that.

No, that cabinet is filled with fasteners.

Art & Ken had there chance when it was at the Treasure Palace! CA had to threaten mortal combat for the one it got.

1 Like

Spoke with @dallasmagna Metal Workshop, today because and Machine Shop will be keeping Vertical Metal Band Saw as it looks like we’ll have the room to do it because Metal Shop is getting some great new metal working tools and they are very short on floor space. For those that like metal working at the Space … it’s all good!

1 Like

Current layout, new lathe is still on wheels and only temporarily located here. At least gives a good idea on available space as area continues to grow

2 Likes

We are trained to think in orthogonal directions. What if we rotated the Bridgeport 30 degrees or so (while also moving it “backward”)? That would provide more room for longer parts and bed travel.

2 Likes

What’s the brown thing in the foreground of the last photo, next to the band saw?

Where are the end mills, etc. that are used on the Bridgeport? I don’t think I see that stuff in the photo - at least not near the Bridgeport.

1 Like

That’s the cold cut saw.
Dunno the rest of your questions.

1 Like

the drawer holders that held the bits are in the cabinet behind the Bridgeport alond with lots of other loose bits in trays.

2 Likes

The “brown thing” is the Cold Cut Saw.

All the cutters for the Bridgeport are in the cabinet behind the Bridgeport. Cutters for the HAAS are in it’s tool chest. We will be moving the Bridgeport forward probably about a foot. A possible problem with angling it is the table and anything sticking out will start to intrude on the lather operator or the aisle as the table moves. But I’ll definitely look at it that as an option/possibility. But moving it forward will will be a an improvement and may alleviate the problem.

These aren’t the final positions for everything, but the Bridgeport, HAAS and Cold Cut Saw are pretty much where they will be. If both lathes are kept they will probably be located side by side with the tools/chucks stored on a fabricated shelf that goes between them. The new one may move towards the old one or the old move down.

Granite Surface Plate: Brandon and I were looking at last night as we moved it around. The small wheels on it make it hard to roll. One of the things we have are some larger, wider casters we can replace those with. That will allow it to be rolled and stowed when not being used. A shelf can be built underneath it to store the gauge blocks, gauge pins, height gauge and other items that have a box for them.

There will be another decent size heavy plate table made. We have the plate, just need legs. Some Alum thick wall tube. May consider that one with locking wheels so it can also be moved and stowed. The plate is Aluminum.

If possible I’d like to see a good sized free space in the middle where stowed items can be brought out and used, or assembling a large item there is space OR since most machine shop classes are small 6-8 hat would be enough space to use as a classroom. Yes, noisier than some other classrooms at times, but it would free up a classroom for other classes making better use of what we have.

Also, it leaves space for future tools, such as the bench top lathe and mill that has been discussed as a goal for the next year so smaller projects can be worked on. Those are 115V, which mean there bench could also be on casters and rolled into the open area to be used then re-stowed.

Electrical is an issue. Not just drops but load capacity. They allow us to have more equipment load connected than the normal capacity because unlike a business ours is intermittent and not constant use - so we are reaching even the reduced calculation load. This means we may have to have two machines connected to a switch that goes between them and only one can be on at a time. Fortunately, the motors on the Bridgeport, and Lathes, etc. are only 2-3 hp (HAAS is the big dawg in our area). So the loads aren’t real heavy like a welder or the Multi-Cam w/vacuum on.

We were moving a lot of the equipment around just so we could get rid of a ton of accumulated “stuff”.

2 Likes