Machine Shop Expansion help 10-6-19

So next Sunday we will be doing a Machine Shop expansion items, This will include moving the items currently in the New Machine shop area. We will be laying out hangers for the wire trays. We will then be putting the hangers up & cable trays.

I plan on starting about noon on Sunday.

I have a chalk line & laser plumb bob to lay said items up.

5 Likes

Also I didn’t mention but we will be hanging the items from the rafters. The tray will be approximately 10ft in the air.

4 Likes

Wire or all thread??

Cable trays will be hung by all thread. @richmeyer has the fixtures. The all thread will need to be ordered - if it hasn’t been already. Probably ought to do an inventory check before starting.

1 Like

do we have a lift to raise the trays??

DMS has a single-man lift that is available to use.

1 Like

I intend on getting another count today of what machine shop needs. Just to verify. Last week I called and got a price on said all thread. I will get it ordered today or tomorrow after I verify the amount needed.

We will be hanging the all thread then attaching unistrut to it. The will allow us to have something to lower the lift with the cable tray onto.

Setting the tray on the Unistrut??

Setting the tray on the Unistrut?? Works for me, I have never had that much room when hanging trays but with no hanging ceiling this will be a walk in the park.

Yep. That’s correct

How many hangers, give of take .

2 rows x 2 threads per connection point x 8 uni-strut (approx… I’m working off memory here for a 50 ft run.) = 32 hangers. Maybe 40 if I’m off.

Pretty close Jeff. I think I counted 30. I wanted to get another count just to be sure.

There are 17 roof trusses across the entire warehouse, going North to South. I figure each supporting span of the cable tray would require 2 each 10 ft long 5/8 inch all-thread fastened to the ceiling trusses with special C-clamps that attach to the trusses 20 feet above. The C-clamps are threaded to allow the all-thread to be threaded into. The bottom of the all-thread will have a 24 inch piece of uni-strut bolted at the end. The cable trays will be supported by the 24 inch long uni-struct cross member. Repeat this process for as many trusses as required. The only machining required is to cut the uni-struct into 24 inch long pieces and to drill 2 each 5/8" clearance holes for the all-thread. We have access to a one man power lift to attach the C-Clamps and to lift the heavy cable trays into place. A couple of tall ladders can be used as needed.

One may ask why we are using 5/8 inch all-thread when 3/8 inch would probably do. The special C-Clamps cost about $18 to $20 a piece. I picked up 100 brand new 5/8 inch special C-Clamps at an auction for 9 cents a piece. . . that’s why. The up charge for the larger all-thread was minimal considering the cost savings we got with the C-Clamps. Just trying to save DMS some Expansion funds.

8 Likes

Might want to bring in extra 3/4" drill bit(s), not sure how ours is currently, nor how many holes it will drill before going bad. Also, there will be folks working beneath the person on the lift; objects could fall on heads; might be a good idea to round up some hard hats.

We could punch the holes.

1 Like

There are 2 hard hats in the Expansion Office.

So about 600 ft of all thread, 120 nuts, 60 washers & about 90 ft of Unistrut. Not counting any extra for spare.

So to potentially save use some work, Anyone happen to find a local sourcefor Unistrut WT would be awesome. It is 5/8 rod ready. I’ll check my source tomorrow when I order the All Thread.
https://www.power-strut.com/news/new-slotted-channel-for-5-8-threaded-rod

We have the materials showing up tomorrow or Friday. So if you are around & can help unload when it gets here, I certainly would appreciate it. We do not have a nailed down time yet.

Also I ordered a 3/4 knock out to keep us from drilling the holes.