Machine Shop Cold saw

So yesterday I did some maintenance on the coldsaw. I replaced the blade, also I put more oil into the hydraulic reservoir. When maintaining the saw, it came to my attention that someone changed the speed of how fast the head comes down. The saw is NOT A GUILLOTINE. The adjustment for the head speed that is allowed to be adjusted is on the front. We will be locking the cabinet to keep people from speeding the head decent up too much. This is how we break our blades, loose teeth & dull them.

4 Likes

Is it possible that low oil levels were causing some air lock issues, and the interior valve had been opened to try and allow feed past those issues? And that topping it off and checking the speeds solved the air lock, and revealed the true setting? Was it actually moving that fast before you serviced it? I know a couple of weeks ago, it was stalling out in the middle of cutting some soft half inch round.

1 Like

anything is possible. However it is more PROBABLE that someone changed it. how soft were you cutting? it may have been an air pressure issue now that we’re sharing air with the vacuum former.

Soft enough that I bent it while threading it.

What type of steel was too soft to cut properly?

12L14 is the softest, non Chinese, steel I am aware of. It cuts, turns, and machines beautifully.

There was oil in it, the level wasn’t were it should be. I used it before I started to do the maintenance to it. That’s how I knew it was too fast. The cuts were crap due to the blade being dull.

12L14, old leaded steel.

To clarify, it was the feed that was stalling out for me a couple of weeks ago, not the spindle. Indicating a serous lack of feed pressure if I wasn’t hearing any bite into soft steel.

A before & after the blade change picture.

6 Likes

That is an awesome improvement, and well due!

Stall usually indicates a dull blade having a hard time cutting.