Luster firing at fired arts

Would it be possible to do a luster firing sometime?

The equipment should be able to handle the process. It is a 019 or 020 firing which is really low. Plus, these don’t require reduction conditions. You just need someone willing to do the firing for you. @dryad2b or @cmcooper0 are the big players in our ceramics community.

What are your plans? Single personal project? Multiple Personal Projects? Teaching a classes? Just wanting to try it for the first time?

I have tried luster on my piece once and I loved the result. I have multiple pieces that I would like to add luster to and fire it.

Yup, we can almost definitely make it happen! Pop me a note with the details and the volume of pieces. If you only have a couple of small pieces, we can put out a call to see if anyone wants to join in on the firing so we can have a more efficient kiln load.

1 Like

Wow that would be awesome. Also, is there an email that I can contact you with ? I would like to talk to you about teaching throwing lessions

You can find my phone number and email on the whiteboard back in Fired Arts. You might have to poke around for it a bit as we are transitioning from that one to a new one “soon”. You can also send me a private message on Talk by clicking on your icon in the upper right and then choosing the envelope icon.

Throwing is super fun! I’m going to be teaching a four part, evening skills class in March-ish or, if you have availability during the week days or Sunday mornings, I can do one-on-one instruction. Beth also teaches a more casual throwing class if that’s your interest. What sort of throwing instruction are you interested in?

I have mostly mugs and one bowl for luster firing. around 20-30 pieces. would it be possible to do a luster firing in last week of March?

1 Like

Probably. We’re usually not so busy that we can’t squeeze in another firing. You’ll need to know what Cone it needs to fired to. Might be on your jars of luster.

The Firing Team

Thankyou. I will find out about the cone.

Just a heads up, You may want to check if this is food safe, if you are considering applying inside your cups and bowls.

Thanks. I will be doing the luster mostly on the handles

Hi, can we set up a date for luster firing ?would this weekend be possible?

Yes, we can. What sort of volume do you have?

For others: We are discussing this now, if there is extra room in the firing, I’ll let folks know asap.

What day will you b firing the luster?

Working on scheduling now (likely to be this Saturday).

I’ve done gold luster in the glass kiln. I used the schedule for the 96 COE tack. It gets to about 1310-1330 which is about cone 017. Doesn’t hurt the glass kiln and is good for one or two pieces at a time.

1 Like