Lumber yard/Place to purchase cheaper wood

Would anyone have a recommendation of a lumber yard, etc where I can purchase maple/walnut/Birch ply/etc at a reasonable/low cost near the Grand Prairie area? It’s for personal projects, so they’d need to be a place that doesn’t mind selling a small amount at a time. Most places I’ve seen recommended are north of Dallas, which is a pretty far drive for me (especially with a 1 year old in tow). TIA!

Might try Brazos. I have never been there and don’t know whether they have small bits but they seem to be recommended by other woodworkers.

There is also a Rocker in Arlington on Cooper.

1 Like

Most of the lumber yards only sell ply in 4x8 sheets. Best advice I can give, is to come hang out in the shop. Lots of scrap pieces left when members finish cuts, and most will give it away if they know someone wants it. Free is pretty cheap!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll check them out tomorrow morning.

I do need large sheets of ply, I guess I meant I don’t need any of the materials in bulk - like for cabinetry or anything. Just a couple sheets of ply or a couple boards at a time. But that is great advice. The scrap bin is great, and free is definitely best!

1 Like

Given the long skinny shape of Grand Prairie it is difficult to know what is “near the Grand Prairie area”. In the hope that something between Grand Prairie and DMS is a good candidate I will share my story.

In the not too distant past I purchased a 4x8 sheet of 18mm Baltic birch and a 5x5 sheet of 6mm Baltic birch from a vendor not too far from DMS. The 18mm was very good quality. I am pleased with what they sold me. However, the 6mm is best described as OK. Both sheets were relatively expensive. I was reluctant to make a second purchase and sought a different vendor.

The next purchase was from Central Hardwoods…

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Central+Hardwoods/@32.885634,-96.9258181,13z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1slumber!3m4!1s0x0:0xf31d52b33cf91f45!8m2!3d32.8700719!4d-96.911484

I purchased 5x5 12mm Baltic birch and 5x5 6mm Baltic birch. The price was reasonable. I did not have to wait long. They loaded the wood into my truck. (They did make a billing mistake in my favour. Being an honest person I had them correct the mistake. The point is: check the bill.)

The only caveat is that they do not have firm prices. By accident I sent them two emails asking for prices. Different people responded to each email with slightly different prices. I suggest calling or emailing in advance so you have a firm price when you arrive.

From what I remember, Baltic birch in 5x5 sheets is significantly less expensive than in 4x8 sheets. From all the vendors I contacted.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all that great information! I will definitely check into those places. I noticed today when I called around that 5x5 is less expensive. Why is that? Is that because it’s a pain in the butt to load into cars, so it ultimately sells less? :wink:

2 Likes

It is less physical material, so you pay less and you get less

1 Like

Speaking of free, how bout them pallets in the back though? :thinking:

Even though the cost per area was less? Like one place has $7 for a 5x5 and their 4x8 was $24.

That is one reason.

However, when I said 5x5 is significantly less expensive I should have also said that it is significantly less expensive by the square foot (comparing apples to apples).

The primary reason Baltic birch is so much less expensive in a 5x5 size is the intended purpose (cabinets) and the source (Eastern Europe; the actual size is 1525mm by 1525mm which comes close to 5 feet by 5 feet).

It is my understanding that 4x8 sheets of Baltic birch are only destined for the U.S. making the number of suppliers and the market much smaller than for the “standard” size sheets. Those restrictions very likely drive the price higher.

What thickness? 6mm?

2 Likes

1/4" (sorry, I don’t know what that is in mm without a ruler in front of me. Lol)

Google to the rescue mon amie…
https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+1%2F4+in+to+mm

Bear in mind that Baltic birch, no matter what words pass the salesperson’s lips, is sold in millimeter thicknesses that are multiples of 1.5. They told you 1/4". They sold you slightly thinner at 6mm. (In my experience it tends to run about 0.20 mm thinner; probably because of finishing.)

Huh. I believe that is quite a bit less than what I paid. Is that price from Central Hardwoods?

1 Like

It was Brazos in Grand Prairie.

2 Likes