Low Fire Clay, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS!

This is getting ridiculous. So many new faces. Some who never show up for meetings. Can we just make everyone write on a paper what their clay body is for each piece? Each person would attach it or place it inside their project. No note, no fire. Wrong type of clay, no fire.

Sheā€™s been here 5 years plusā€¦

They (a group of 5-8) bought mica low fire last year, put together by ceramics. On two occasions. She knew it shouldnā€™t be fired except in bisque. Not her first rodeo like what is being portrayed here at all.

@cmcooper0 When yā€™all fired last year we didnā€™t have any issues did we? Remember some gorgeous white and gold, and chocolate mica pots from those group buys.

Another reason to have clay body listed. At anytime a project is to be fired, so that these folks loading the kiln do not have to guess. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a bad idea at all. Glaze in progress shelf may be helpful too.

1 Like

The mica clay went through the bisque kiln with no issues. They did a special 08 firing for the mica clay I think but when low fire was allowed in 04 bisque firings, mica clay went through fine. I have also fired mica clay to 04 in my own kiln.

ETA that Iā€™m not arguing against the new rule that was voted on, just stating what happened with mica clay in the past. I think labeling the clay body is a great idea.

1 Like

If it is the white mica by New Mexico Clay from the group purchase, that particular clay isnā€™t made to go to 6. The usual recommended top cone is 02 where mica melts. The group fires we did with it were to 08/010 and it was advised that you could fire it in a bisque load (04) but potentially lose some of the sparkle. There were other clays in that buy that are fine to 6 or higher. Would need to know the specific one used, but it just doesnā€™t look like an overfired mica to me. Could be wrong though!

It is every makersā€™ responsibility to understand their materials and the tools used, for sure. But mistakes are going to happen and we just have to try to educate folks. No one is intentionally screwing up for the fun of it, they are damaging other peoplesā€™ pieces and losing their own work too. That said, having to grind shelves in the back parking lot in the summer will get you a bit frothy over such mistakes real fast! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m confident the committee will explore the matter and once the mistaken maker is informed that they will be happy to help fix or make up for the trouble. Posts like these are helpful to drive home why committees are so fussy about certain rules/requests/etc. Considering the crazy awesome volume of kiln loads being processed, I think the number of problems is refreshingly low!

4 Likes