Looking to pay an operator for the multicam

Hey folks, My name is Brandon I am going to be coming in for the open house tomorrow and likely join the makerspace, but I have a project I need to get started on and my 5 x 12 router-master just went down! I am looking to see if anyone would be interested in cutting parts out of 3/4" plywood and 1/2" LW MDF for a job im working on. I would provide all materials, tooling, and ready to cut CAM programs (need to know what post processor your multicam uses). It looks like it will be at least 4-5hrs of machine time, so I figure $200-300 depending on how much time it takes. If there is someone up there who could get me the class to run the machine that would work too, but I need to get parts cut by next week. I have plenty of experience on CNC’s so I would be there helping, but my understanding is someone who has taken the classes has to verify the G-code and run the machine.

anyone interested let me know and I will be up there tomorrow around 7pm if you want to talk about the job

1 Like

I’ll be up there tomorrow and would love to help. Keep in mind our machine is 4’x8’ so it’s smaller than what you’re used to.

2 Likes

Our MultiCam is 5 x 10.

2 Likes

Awesome, I’ll bring my laptop to show you the drawings. Do you know your post processor or do you want the solid models to run your toolpaths?

1 Like

G-code has to be saved as .cnc I think that is what you are asking.

1 Like

Yes it is, thanks Indy!

The market rate for a CNC Router job is $120 an hour on the low end so a reasonable expectation is $480 for a 4 hour job and $600 for a 5 hour job.

I think we have a different idea of the scope of work, but I definitely dont have a problem with full shop rate for the right circumstance. What I am looking for is to come and pay $540 for a yearly membership not only to learn more but to cover my portion of the equipment, depriciation, real estate, insurace…etc and pay an operator around $60/hr to check and run my op (with me as an assistant to load materials and help however I can) and provide tooling. I feel like thats pretty reasonable but Im definitely willing to pay more, not looking to short change anyone and I dont know the multicam system so I would also pay alot more if someone would teach me as we go the ins and outs so to speak of the machine.

1 Like

What I would like for you to observe when you come in is the immense amount of volunteer time spent keeping this community active and the tools maintained, the members doing this give way more than $50 in value; if this did not happen, this organization would not exist. eg. I repaired CNC routers professionally, but when ours goes down, I am happy to come in and repair it for free as it gives me an opportunity to give back to the community.

The fact of the matter is you could not get that work done for less than that rate around Dallas, so anything less than the rate I mentioned is below market value and is unfair. The most service you can offer is to help load and unload sheets/clean/etc, and that is at most worth $8 an hour, the tooling is worth about $5 an hour, that would at most bring the rate down to $107 an hour.

All that said, if one of the Stan Simmons, Tim Bene’s, or Chris Marlows of the organization came up to me and asked me for a favor I would never charge as they are just a few of those types of volunteers that I mentioned earlier that keep DMS ticking.

If it isn’t obvious, I am trying to sucker you into getting involved with our community and help to improve it.

4 Likes