Looking to create a sheet metal fabrication 101 class

Absolutely interested!

Add me to the list also

Same, i will attend that class

I would absolutely be interested. Thanks!

I am extremely interested in such a class!

Count me in, i like safety and learning!

Looks like youā€™re going to need multiple classes. Lots of interest here, myself included!

The last class I gave, I think 4 or 5 showed out of the 8 slots.

1 Like

been looking for a class like this.

I would like to know more about using the English wheel

Would be Very interested

Awesome! I would be happy to take the class. Every day is a school day, so chances are I will learn something new. For what it is worth, a good starter project is something like a transmission tunnel or a hood scoopā€¦ both could easily have compound curves, embossing or stepping, make use of shrinking/stretching, rivets, and more. All sound like they are available there.

I would definitely also be happy to come help teach a metal shaping class, or fall into a rotation of there is enough interest I have been using bead rollers, e-wheels, hammers galore and doing aircraft style sheet metal for race cars for years. Iā€™d be happy to bring a small English wheel out there for a demo, as well, if there is interest.

I just signed up out there about a month ago, and this would be my first time back.

Very excited to be here, I look forward to seeing this grow.
Tom

2 Likes

oooh cool. I donā€™t know what that is, but if it lives up to its name, I would have so many uses for a shrinker!

4 Likes

Has tool addict gene.

2 Likes

It pushes the sheet together causing it to shrink and give more shape.

Might not do the ā€œshrinkingā€ you have in mind :smile:
Hereā€™s a shrinker in action, pulling a straight piece into a curve

and if you watch that video for a few seconds, heā€™ll demo stretching, pushing a straight piece into a curveā€¦

3 Likes

I noticed that the upcoming Jan. CNC plasma class is full. Is that still the case? I didnā€™t see that a class is being offered later.
I am primarily interested in the sheet metal shop and wondering whether I need training on every piece of equipment or selected pieces? I am not yet a member but plan on joining.
I will be cutting some 1/4ā€ aluminum plate and cutting and forming some 20-22 gauge stainless.
Thank you!

@Stevew

Some classes tend to fill up quick. The Plasma CNC is one of those at the moment. There will be other classes, so monitor the calendar to get hooked up with the next one.

As for training, I believe you need to take the 101 class, which is mostly safety and a few tools. There are other classes which include additional tools that you can take if you want. You donā€™t have to take them all to do stuff in the metal shop, though.

Iā€™d take a look at the tools section of the Wiki and find the tools you want to use. Look in the column labeled ā€œtraining requiredā€ for those tools to see if you need to be qualified to used them. If you need training, monitor the calendar for a class. If you donā€™t see any, you can try posting about your interest in the class in the metal shop category.

Iā€™ve found that patience is key here. The classes are 100% volunteer, so there very well could be a stretch where it seems there hasnā€™t been a class in a while.

The CNC requires training, as well as the powder coating oven & welding. The bench grinders require training but thatā€™s just a QR code with a test you take at your own pace. We have a PowerPoint on using the 3 major sheet metal tools but training is not required. They are covered to keep the surfaces from getting messed up.

The CNC Plasma has classes very often so there shouldnā€™t be much of a wait.

Oh, and the guy teaching the class thatā€™s full is @tomthm. He was in the Common Room after youā€™d left, and I told him that there was more interest.