Looking to cast some small 3d printed wax objects in bronze

Hi – I’m wondering: is there any way I could find out how to use the casting equipment this week or this weekend? I’ve been working on a 3d model of a chain of rose weevils in Rhino, and I’m just printing them in casting wax now. I was hoping to cast them in bronze. But I can’t seem to find any casting classes on the Makerspace calendar. Also, I have experience doing jewelry casting and might not necessarily need a whole class, just to know how DMS jewelry does casting?

Thanks,
Alex Telecky

@Team_Jewelry

This tag may put more eyes on your topic. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m new to the forum and appreciate the help. :slight_smile:

Hi Alex, it sounds like an interesting project and something you can certainly do here at DMS. There was a sand casting class last night. Not sure how big your pieces are, but we have a few different methods of casting to consider depending on the size of your project.

Training is required for all casting. The JSM Orientation is the prerequisite and then the specific training is needed for the particular process you would want to do. Casting with resin is slightly different than with wax and vacuum is different than centrifugal or sand casting. We can help you figure all that out and coach you through the process.

As you may know, the process of molding, injecting, spruing, investing, burnouts, using the vacuum table and pouring all require unique knowledge/instruction. Volunteers teach these classes to help others learn the process at DMS and more are needed. The committee has a sign off process that includes you successfully completing a bronze DMS logo key chain as shown below. We work only in specifically alloyed bronze grain, silver, and gold.

We have organized the DMS casting process into these core classes for centrifugal and vacuum casting…

1. Mold making & wax working (not need if using resin, use only purple resin)
  2. Spruing, investing, & burnout (There is a flask fee $5 for small, $10 medium)
  3. Pouring melting/casting & quenching
    (Classes 2 & 3 are done consecutively)
  4. Finishing Casting clean up, high-speed polishing & tumbling

Once a member has successfully completed the logo class, have been shadowed by someone else who is already signed off to teach and met with the committee you may host your own Lab and or teach others our processes. The JSM committee has worked hard to outline this process to help keep things efficient, organized and agreed it’s a necessity for safety.

I will be at the space tomorrow morning around 9/10AM if you want to chat more in person. You can also join our Discord channel or come to our committee meeting next Tuesday at 7 PM. I hope this helps answer your question.

image0 IMG_20190429_202311186

5 Likes

@ JohnK mentioned he might have some casting he will be doing in the near future and might let you add your project to his, then cast them all at once.

1 Like

Check the calendar. Terry has a Basic Sand Casting Class Sun May 19 at 6pm. It would be good for the Principles. Also I think Johnny plans on some class that build up to casting in the next weeks (Fri~) using old blue. So best thing is check with them or the calendar.

1 Like

I took most of those classes, but since I didn’t use it … poof!

I’m also looking to refresh/cast. My master is about 1/3 the size of a bobby pin and will need to be molded first to make two wax masters.

@JBluJkt - are you planning any classes?

1 Like

I should have two more mold classes and an investment class up next week. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll be camped on the calendar!!

1 Like