Looking to buy clay locally

I have made 3 or 4 trips to Trinity Ceramics and they have been closed every time. I have been looking on line and have found several cone 6 products however it has been hard to find any with grog. Are they any local places to buy clay?

Thanks,
Brad
brad_vgt

Trinity is open 9-5, Monday through Friday and in the morning of the first Saturday of the month. Holidays can affect hours but they are very good about posting on their webpage and FB.

Because of the limited hours, we try to help each other out. If you are having trouble making the work day window, I recommend dropping a note and seeing if anyone is swinging by soon. I can’t always guarantee a helper-buddy, but more often than not you can find someone. If you know what you want, after checking in that someone can do a pick-up for you, you can call Trinity and pay over the phone while letting them know the name of the person swinging by. If you need to browse the store personally, try for the first Saturday. I believe American Ceramics in Fort Worth has more frequent/longer Saturday hours. You can also buy all sorts of clay online but shipping can be $$, :).

Edit: I wasn’t exactly clear up there, my bad, but I’m volunteering to make a run for ya if you just need a straight p/u, I can go Thursday.

Yup most place close several days for the holiday. Look up American ceramics in FT Worth. They also carry a mix if clays. I think they are open every Saturday to 12. Not sure if they are open this weekend.

Remember to ask about recommend firing temp and the specific characteristic of the clay body. So you have no surprises. They also have a mass array of low and high fire glazes and groovy tools and textures. They offer some interesting classes but they are expensive. If you haven’t been it’s worth a look see.

You might call Trinity (during the day), and verify that they’re open this Saturday. I mean – they should be. It’s the first Saturday, and it’s far enough from New Year’s that they shouldn’t be closed on Friday or Monday. If they are open, it’ll be from 9-12.

The spring semester clay sale starts 1/13 and runs to 2/1. That may mean that they’ll be open Saturday 2/1. Well – they should be. Why else would they list the day if they won’t be open? Usually they charge sliding scale depending on total weight bought, but during the sale most clays (especially the most common) are all sold at the 1000lb price. That’s around 55% of the 50lb price. 50lb is one box of 2 25lb bags. 25lbs is the minimum. The flaw about waiting is that they may be sold out of the most used types. I think that during the fall sale, they had run out of the Cone 5 white stoneware, AND the Cone 5 T-mix by the time the committee went by.

I have tried twice during the day and they were closed and they are currently closed till January. The only time I actually got a foot inside the store was on a weekend and as soon as I walked in the said they were closing. I even said I just wanted to buy some clay really quick and they said the would be opening again Monday. So far I have not been very impressed with their customer service.

1 Like

I’m sorry your having such a tuff time getting clay. :woman_facepalming:

I do want to remind you the Trinity’s clay sale is soon. I usually stuck up for the year since it’s so cheap on sale.

when is their sale? I have been mostly working on wood projects but last weekend we had a hard time getting on the equipment we wanted to use so we kind of piddled around and got a few things done but it would have been good if we could of just said we would do something else.

Trinity’s clay sale is Jan 13 through Feb 1. That last day is a Saturday, so they should be open from 9-12. Mind you, they may be out of the more common clays by then. Still, you should be able to get something.

@Monikat – did they give us a raincheck last time they ran out? Or did we just have to buy what they had at the time?

1 Like

I know Monika is out of pocket a bit at the moment so I’ll chime in. Last fall they offered rain checks for out of stock clays.

2 Likes

If you want to use some clay right now, Allen spent a lot of time reclaiming some clay in the free bin. We tested it yesterday as he was concerned about the moisture content. I made a couple nice pieces. It was a little dry but some water can be wedge in and you would be good to go.

I’ll be back in town on the 2nd and would be happy to sell you a box/bag of clay with grog. I’m at the studio on the 5th.

Trinity is closed until January 1st

1 Like

You’re right – I’m a week ahead of myself. They should be open Saturday the 4th.

To clarify: I assume you mean Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 when you say “this Saturday” (as I read this on just after Midnight on Saturday, 28 Dec).

Well, I didn’t, but I should’ve. They’re open the first Saturday of the month, and my brain got ahead of itself.