Looking for spiral book binder

I would like to have something like this in the CA room. Electrical Comb and Wire Binding Machine, 500 sheet binding capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00864BB28/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SOxtxbMJ9FAPX

I know they show up in auctions, garage sales, and dusty corners of offices. It would be great to be able to do several different types of bindings in one machine - wire, plastic spiral thing, the other plastic type. I don’t mind buying one but I think $300 is a bit much (although I really don’t know). If you see one around could you give a shoutout. I like the idea of us making professional training materials, having this as a resource, and fun little ways to recycle/make sketch pads/sell.

1 Like

This is an option as well. I like metal spiral rather than the split ring design, but that is me to each their own.

1 Like

I like the metal too but for just a couple of bucks more we can have all three in one machine - $100 is closer to the price point I feel ok with.

Binding 500 sheets is a ream of paper. Curious what you are making? I don’t recall seeing more than 2" w/o it being a commercial binding.

I’ve had the machine Nick shows, you can do 500 just not all at once. Most binding shops I’ve seen with 500 pages at one go use a paper drill.

3 Likes

I have a hand-operated binder machine that I will donate to Creative Arts. I also have a box of various size plastic combs that will go with it. Are you interested in a free-be? See how much usage the machine gets before you spend money for one of those metal spiral units. This unit only punches rectangular holes for the plastic combs.

4 Likes

These things freakin’ ROCK for when you need something remotely professional!
GET IT!
:smiley:
y’know, if it suites the purpose and we want to store it and…

1 Like

Oh my goodness!! Yes we are interested. What we will do is see if it’s used and if so talk about buying a more “substantial” one. Thank you so very much!! It will be a great addition to the offerings of this most diverse room.

3 Likes

Nicole :

Have you been to Clampett Paper’s “sample room”? They have several types of binding equipment there - and I am sure they wouldn’t mind binding something for you as a one time gig (If you like I can call and ask) - they have three full timers staff the sample room

Some of the gear there is even older than me !
For those interested in paper there are over 3000 examples - plus they offer a “paper school” that is free.

1 Like

I gotta get over to that place. I don’t really have anything to bind. I just felt it could be a good universal tool for members to have access to. I’m not exactly sure how many people will use it but we will give it a go and see how it rolls. Everyone is so nice.

Ps Ayden lost a tooth this morning!

4 Likes

Just in time for summer. He will be squirting his friends in the pool with his new found super power.

3 Likes

Clampitt paper is definitely worth a visit for those interested in paper. The sample room has a bunch of different examples about how paper products are used.

I took their free “Paper University” (a one day course) about a decade ago and they really went deep into the uses of paper for printing and display.

2 Likes

I took their Paper School last Feb - pretty interesting and a tour of the Dallas plant. I had my sales rep invite PandaBob and his wife as well. It was a good experience and the catered lunch was great.

1 Like

This morning I dropped by and donated the spiral wrap punch and binding machine. Along with it came a nice assortment of plastic spiral binders in several sizes, booklet covers, and booklet tabs. You are now in business to create some professional brochures. Enjoy.

9 Likes

Thank you so very much. I hope people use it to create some interesting things. I really appreciate your sweetness and willingness to share.

1 Like

I saw the binding machine in CA tonight and the pile of combs and cover paper you donated. That was wonderfully gereous of you and I’m sure it will come to great use! I’m seeing a Makers of DMS calendar in the future somewhere…we have the blue screen background wall, lighting, cameras, photo printers and now the binding equipment! Let the model search begin!!!

1 Like

Do you know where to get the plastic spines for this machine? I have a ~120 page document I’d like to bind.

Most Office Supply stores have these plastic splines. Also, check the CA Room because I gave them a bunch of these splines of various sizes.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Richard, this worked great! I’ll put a $20 in the CA tip jar for some larger splines (largest one was approx 7/8" which worked for the # of pages I had). Perhaps we can get an assortment of sizes 1" and larger?

psst. @uglyknees – could you perhaps put the PayPal link for CA on the CA webpage? :slight_smile: