Looking for sour dough starter

I’d like to start making some bread and I was looking for some starter

1 Like

Try this post from @HankCowdog and see if that’s still an option.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll get my SASE in the mail tonight.

2 Likes

the quarentiny sourdough (also posted by @HankCowdog ) worked pretty well back when I did it.

takes a couple weeks, so you could do it NOW, and it’ll likely hit usable about the same time as the Carl’s…compare & contrast.
Plus, it takes daily activity at first, so good way to keep occupied, if that’s what’s needed.

1 Like

My wife has done this, it was one of her covid projects. She got swamped heading back to the classroom and forgot about her starter. It got sick and couldn’t be saved.

Now that it’s getting colder and Thanksgiving is coming up I’d like to start making bread again. I’m impatient and didn’t want to make a new starter.

2 Likes

Facebook Marketplace has a number of local-ish listings for sourdough starter.

1 Like

@jliszewski, I have some of my starter dried (in case of a catastrophe with the starter in my fridge). I could mail some to you.

This is a starter I’ve kept going since a friend gave me some of hers in the Summer of 2020. Very hardy - it has survived multiple consecutive weeks of neglect (including two evacuations due to forest fires) and bounces back every time.

PM me your mailing address if your interested.

3 Likes

I bought some refrigerated starter on clearance at a health food store in Denton. Happy to share once I wake it up. Not sure what strains of yeast and/or bacteria are in it.