Looking for Plasma Cutter Operator

Need to cut armature for an electric motor. Anyone willing to help cut can be paid or compensated through goods. Also need to know file format.

Cheers!

Rashon

The Plasmacam takes DXF files. Do you have your material to be cut already?

No what type of steel is acceptable? I was going to buy something fairly thin and mild steel. I will export to DXF format then. Thanks for the heads up.

1. Nothing galvanized. Hot or Cold rolled steels are the most popular (hot is cheaper). Will cut anything that a standard plasma cutter will.

2. I don’t remember exactly what we set the minimum thickness at, but too thin ends up being a problem, as our Z height does not work, and thin stuff tends to warp, causing head crashes. The minimum recommended number that is coming to mind right now is 16 gauge. I think people have cut thinner, but design and tolerance for catastrophic failure (materials waste) come into play with thinner and thinner materials. The machine works awesome between 11-3 gauge.

2 Likes

Guys this is awesome. If I was to plan a day to meet a PlasmaCam operator. Which day would work best and what time?

Weeknights except Wednesday work decent for me. Thursday can be good or bad depending on how many tour guides we have :slight_smile:

Okay, I will go and pick up some thicker gauge steel Tuesday, I had planned on 16 gauge, will get the 1/8". I will also export to DXF format and make sure we can edit on the fly if needed. If Thursday is too busy than we can shoot for another day. I will commit to getting those actions done by tomorrow as well as posting an update to make sure we can shoot for sooner than later to cut the mild steel.

I want to be clear that I really appreciate the openness to help with this project. Thank you both.

3 Likes

It’s looking like next week will be best since today is Friday. I tried a 3D print of the shape and it seems to be good but I’m not sure if this is what the plasmaCam is for. May I ask what the resolution is for the Plasma Cam. The rotor’s overall diameter is less than 6cm.

It’s actually better than you might think. If you go look at the desk with the computer on it, you can see example keychains that were cut out during class. They’re fairly good examples of how accurate the machine can get.