Looking for maker made things for picnic silent auction (specifically not a raffle)

Found out we can’t do raffles.

Met with @MellissaRhodes tonight and brainstormed (and got our toes painted as a bonus). She came up with the idea of a raffle at the picnic to benefit PR and it’s gonna be awesome.

I’m putting out the call for maker-made items to be included in the silent auction (not a raffle).

Possibly you offer maker-experiences, a portrait, private lessons, items that you made, @johnk you better put in a portrait, pens, turned items, knitted items, metal shop stuff, costume pieces…all sorts of stuff. Just think of the items we could have!
Possibly some of you guys have jobs that would offer up special things for this silent auction (not a raffle). I don’t know.
Your name and business would get all the credit. Be creative.

Mel is going to call around to some game stores for donations. I’m going to hit up some of our mom and pop places. If you want to help please speak up!

We are going most likely put together the items in groupings in baskets. Tickets will be available at the picnic (price will be reasonable). If you have something you would like to contribute please let @MellissaRhodes, @Adam_Oas or I know. Items much he at makerspace by the 24th so we have a chance to organize and show the collections off. The items are going to be locked up in the PR storage room.

Standard raffle rules - must be present to win.

2 Likes

I think you are referring to a sealed-bid auction: everyone submits their one-time bid at same time in a sealed envelope, or otherwise hidden manner, e.g. folded slip of paper.

You might also consider a silent auction, where a piece of paper, or whatever, is associated with each item and people walk up and write/type their name (or bidder ID) and a bid down; they can come back as often as they want until bidding closes to update their bid. This is essentially eBay style.

2 Likes

YESS!!! silent auction. That’s what I was trying to say!!! tongue tied big time thank you.

I will donate my original dulcimer stick to the cause.

7 Likes

Good call. Sealed-bid auctions don’t easily lend themselves to a Nash “Beautiful Mind” equilibrium.

1 Like

I can donate some photo prints if someone will help run them on the wide format. (Waiting in clearance)

3 Likes

Not to be a party pooper, but do you really think two hours is enough time to do all of this?

You’re a party pooper. :slight_smile:
You must party hard and long Bill.
Next year we will have some experience under our belt and a better timeline. I had to delay this till the board meeting to see if we would get funding. After that we just needed to play Jenga with the times avaliable. Next year more lead time and some planning will make things better. But - this is a scrappy year and it’s going to be a blast.

No, it’s not but another place has the pavilion till 4 and they get time to clear out. After 7:30 we can stay as long as we would like but the pavilion needs to be cleaned up from the party.

2 Likes

Maybe have a display of the items here at DMS and let people start buying raffle tickets/bidding before the picnic?

2 Likes

Received word that we can’t do a raffle - so it will be a silent auction.
As things come in we will show them off.

1 Like

If we are ever at the space at the same time I’ll gladly show you

I’m coming up tonight if you’ll be there. If not no big deal

I’ll be up tonight but I’m working to make trophies for the rugby team for a bit. But come find me I’m in a tiger (possibly a puma) top and red pants and I look exactly like a person who’s been listening to 32 kids a period hit stone with hammers.

4 Likes

I will donate a Seeed Studio ARDX - Basic Experimentation Kit for Arduino: https://www.seeedstudio.com/ARDX-Basic-Experimentation-Kit-for-Arduino-p-2659.html

It does not include an Arduino so I will throw in an Inland Arduino Uno clone: http://www.microcenter.com/product/431997/uno_r3_mainboard

This bundle includes everything you will need to explore the Arduino platform. The development environment software (Windows, Mac OS or LINUX) may be downloaded for free from https://www.arduino.cc/

Because I did not make this, I am throwing in an hour of tutoring/consulting time at Dallas Makerspace at a mutually agreed upon date and time.

6 Likes

Ms Moose, if you don’t get clearance to print - I’ll print them for you - this is a good cause…& depending on the size - I will offer free custom framing for one of your prints up to 20"x24" with double mats from my in stock moulding.
(that is if Nicole doesn’t mind the donation coming from material outside of the Space).

3 Likes

You know I’m cool with that. :heart:
Moose he’s a good man to know for sure. Friends to artists and auction houses. Haha

3 Likes

Lol I’ve heard that from people…

@TLAR did you get the fabric?
@uglyknees the art show I was judging took like 4x longer than we were told. I should be able to make committee meeting tonight and will get votes from the townspeople on which ones they think would fetch the most for us. I should be in a campus shirt barring any shenanigans in the next 3 hours. I will look like a person who listened to 3 kids argue about whether hamsters lay eggs

1 Like

no, but I’ll be up there tonight around 730pm - I have a date with Pierce’s girl - and her Volvo

2 Likes

I’ll donate this leather Fieldnotes cover. Design courtesy of @apparently_weird and @bitta.

8 Likes

I can donate a large Dragon skull 3D print (14.9" x 6.2" x 8.6" LxWxH). It’d be unfinished but assembled (and includes the hinged moveable jaw that isn’t in the photo below).

-the purring dork

9 Likes