Looking for HV wire

I’m looking for a ~24" piece of high-voltage wire. Would anyone have some to spare?

(Can be any color … that’s a don’t-care)

How about spark plug wire that can be bought at any auto parts store, some have it on a spool and sell it by the foot.

Good idea, but isn’t that resistive? No reason to burn up RF power as heat. :slight_smile:

Oops, showing my age there. In the old days spark plug wire was not resistive. You’ve got me there. But, Test Lead wire usually has a higher voltage rating and is more flexible.

1 Like

Depending on voltage, you could possibly use the center conductor and insulator from a piece of RG8 or 8X.

What voltage range/wire gauge are you looking for? I have a bag full of stuff I grabbed when some neon billboard signs were being redone.

Oh, anything in the 1-2kV range would be fine for this application.

Cool, I can probably bring something by tomorrow evening, if that works for you. What I have is rated to say 20-25kv. If you need it sooner, you shouldn’t have any issue using the center conductor/insulation out of a piece of coax, as tmc4242 mentioned. Also, tanner’s has some HV wire that has ends already crimped on it, they look very similar to spark plug wires, but i believe they are standard silicone HV wire, might be worth a check?

1 Like

How is your tub labeled? I will be happy to drop a piece off, and don’t worry about any payment. I will dig around the shop tomorrow and see what I have, as I probably have a couple of different options.

Glad to hear that you found it, let me know if you need a different size or voltage rating. Good luck with your project.