Looking for help with lath and epoxy resin

I have piece of wood and epoxy resin i would like use the lathe to carve in to a bowl. Is there anyone that might help me to do this on the lathe or a class that might be specific to using the lathe carve bowls?

I can help with this, it would need to be next weekend at the earliest.

2 Likes

You might talk to @prl2018 about his upcoming class on Wednesday for bowl turning.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/13371

2 Likes

prl2018 class is completely filled. Thanks but we only have so many lathes. I will message prl2018 thanks… Ryan i am hoping we can work together. If not on this project maybe at some point.

Hi, I don’t know much at all about turning resin but I’d be glad to help in any way. I’ve watched Scott Blevins working on a resin bowl so he would be a good resource as well, he did mention resin was new to him a week or so ago when we talked. I’ve learned a bunch from talking to Ryan about turning in general. Post it when you get it done. I’m really curious about resin turning and want to learn!

2 Likes

I am indeed turning an Alumilite resin and pine cone bowl, and it turns great (if you don’t mind being covered with resin ribbons to the point where you look like a snowman).

While this is my first resin bowl, I have also done a fair number of resin tuning projects on the Jet lathes (pens, handles, and whatnot). Alumilite turns great. Do not know about other resin types.

2 Likes

I have used the lathe to make a resin paper weight but a bowl is difficult. I am looking for pointer and someone to help me in person. Scott can we meet?

Hi TJ, I’m happy to meet with you, but if your primary concern is the technique to turn a bowl, then I am not the best resource for you. Paul LeChance is what I would call a bowl turner. I like to play with resin. :slight_smile:

So yes, we can meet (send me a PM), and I can probably give you some helpful pointers. Someone like Paul can better explain specific bowl turning principles.