Looking for help with Laser

I have a small project, I need to size a star on a Texas Cutting board. It is only a 3”-4” tall 1/8-3/16 thick outline, 1/8 deep of a star. I took laser class recently, still not sure about process and was hoping I could pay someone $20-$40 for maybe an hours worth of their time this week to walk me thru this and help one on one so I don’t screw this project up.

It’s not entirely clear what you’re looking to do but if I am understanding you correctly, you need to cut out a pocket for a 1/8" thick star inlay. If that is the case then the laser is not the tool to use. That would be more appropriate for the Multicam with a 1/16" bit made for inlay work.

Can you clarify the request? I’m not sure what “1/8-3/16 thick” means when combined with “1/8 deep”.

I think the OP means the star has an outline that is 1/8" to 3/16" wide, and the outline is 1/8" deep.

If I understand the request correctly, Shapeoko is also a viable tool for this, with far less training.

EDIT: Although the pointy corners are going to need to be touched up by hand because of course any rotating cutter will be limited by the diameter of the cutter.

John is correct it’s just an outline of a Star. I am not qualified for the multi cam, that’s why I wanted help with the laser process more so I could do this and other projects. I am open to any tool cutting out this small inlay groove with I am probably going to fill with epoxy.

The laser isn’t going to cut very deeply, that’s why people are suggesting something with an actual cutter; MultiCam or Shapeoko.

I understand that, I was hoping to be better versed in the laser after this process. It does not have to cut very deep, what is the deepest you think it can burn away walnut ? And if anybody can cut it out on multi cam I need some insight on that process too, because I’m struggling learning that on my home CNC that is have. Same offer applies $40 for an hours worth of your time to help with this project.

I’d be happy to help you get it done on the Multicam if you like. What is your timeframe?

As for the laser, you could raster engrave the outline using multiple passes. Each one will be deep enough to catch a fingernail you drag across. One issue is that the laser will progressively get more out of focus as you go and with such a small cut it will be hard to re-focus.

1 Like

I would like to have it done next week. I work till 6, off on Friday, but I can take vacation time and meet you any time… and yes doing it on the multi cam would be great.

Do you have the exact dimensions of your inlay - or even better, a CAD or other vector drawing?

Let me get that together tonight and I measure and design it on VCarve if that works? And send later.

1 Like

Somewhat related, is the Shapeko actually set up somewhere? that’s one I was thinking about using for a project but haven’t seen the actual machine nor training for it in a while. Not sure who the trainers are or what committee runs it at this point.

I think I saw it in the room formerly known as 3D Fab.

EDIT: Woodshop committee is the steward.

It’s in the room that used to be the 3D printer room. It’s right there at the door.

Ah great thank you. Now to get trained on it, XD

1/8” depth is fine on the laser.

How many passes do you have to make to engrave that deeply?

After rereading the post, I realized the over all size is more than I thought. The laser time would be excessive.
Not worrying about laser, I think one pass at 200 speed/40% power (that’s a WAG) would work. I’ve only etched Baltic birch plywood though.