Looking for help with CNC Project

The 3d file was generated from

3d file was created off of this picture then edited. I should post this in the thingiverse picture.

Would this cause problems with copyright?

Also i would like to use a ball nose on a 3d finishing tool path in mdf. And a profile of 1/4 in mdf. Can i ask if these are the correct bits?

No. Details are here in the Licensing section.

If you prefer not to take my word for it, find the original and use that. It was published by NASA / SeaWiFS which automatically makes it public domain.

A ballnose is a reasonable choice. But, you are going to have to make some decisions on speed / quality. A bigger diameter gives a smaller resolution but less time machining. Were I in your shoes I would try to create a roughing pass with a “large” diameter endmill followed by a finishing pass with a “small” diameter endmill. I have no idea if VCarve is any good at that with 3D models.

1 Like

the copy right rule has been debated endlessly in the CNC world, the general consensus and the law is that as long as you are not using it for monetary or personal gain you are no violating the copy right.

And yes a ball nose bit is best. I would use at least an 1/8th in but for high level of detail a 1/16th or even a 32nd

1 Like

I agree with @Sk8nmike on bits. How small is mainly a function of how closely it will be viewed. Think of this in terms of old oil paintings in museums … if you get too close, you see cracks and splotches of paint; back up a bit and it blends together.

VCarve has roughing and finishing toolpath options under Toolpath Operations. Suggest you look at ways to select small sections for the smaller bits if this is a large project and takes a long time. That all depends on the overall scale of your work piece. Not worth it if it’s a few inches, but really worth it if it’s the scale of some large entry doors and signs I carved in a prior life chapter.

1 Like

I took screen shots to record my settings. If you would like to review them i would be glade to have review.
First Cut settings using 1/4 inch down cut endmill

Second cut setting using 1/8 in ball nose endmill

Third Cut setting using 1/4 inch down cut for profile

Tool save using correct post processor(I hope). i used cnc and not .arc.

In my folder on the committee drive i put a subfolder.

Here they define using the .arc extension.

Not precisely. The rules for what is known as fair use are

https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

Someone making one of something not for sale or pay is unlikely to be discovered and sued.

I am doing this for family members who will pay only for the materials. We came from the NY Buffalo/ Rochester area. So they are Christmas gifts for family and a youtube/ linked in post for me. Showing that in deed i do have the skill set and that i learned it from Dallas makerspace.

Less than precisely. Fair use is irrelevant for works in the public domain.

Also irrelevant for works in the public domain.

@ceramicCAP, the U.S. Copyright Office has a reasonable summary…

Where is the public domain?
The public domain is not a place. A work of authorship is in the “public domain” if it is no longer under copyright protection or if it failed to meet the requirements for copyright protection. Works in the public domain may be used freely without the permission of the former copyright owner.

“Used freely”. That sums it up.

This is the actual picture in use. they say if i make the file available just put a reference…

TJ, now that I have a better idea of the size and detail of your project, I’m changing my mind on what to do. I opened your source file and ran three bit options. Before I tell you what was used, look at these three images. The name tells you the predicted time to cut the finishing tool path. The times vary by hours. Which one makes the most sense for your project?

5:15

2:48

1:48

I am assuming that is hours and minutes and not minutes and seconds, right?

Yep. It’s about 23" square, so bring a comfy chair!

Thank you i change the finish path to raster and put the hours to 2.5 for the tool path. Thank you here is the semi finished piece of art work.

3 Likes

OK, I was obviously too late with my response. When I sent the 3 options I was checking to see if you could detect significant difference on cut quality and if you could, was it worth the extra time.

My guess was the answer would be that all three are acceptable, so go with the fastest. The way I edited the paths was by changing the stepover on the bit and the bit size. As first presented, the 5:15 option is a 1/8" round nose with 8% stepover per pass. By increasing the stepover from 8% to 15%, cut time dropped to 2:48. Next I increased the bit to a 1/4" round nose and used a 10% stepover and that saved an additional hour (1:48).

There is a very decent explanation of why and how you might approach this type of problem here:

Lastly, I would have recommended you crop out a small, detailed section (maybe like 2" x 2") and test carve that part of the image with differing bit sizes and bit stepover values… Then it would be easy to pick a final logic for the full project.

Just in case you haven’t found it, you customize the stepover by clicking the “Edit …” button in the Tool Path window:

Tool%20Edit

1 Like

Sorry i changed the path type to raster and the time decreased to half… I will try another set of tool paths. I am going to try this piece again with you settings… I am looking to make another of this piece for cousins. Thank you… I will report the time and the picture giving the quality of the work. I also hope to do the same for a picture of texas. I also hope to make mold for a lone star of texas concrete stepping stone mold. Thank you for your instructions.

1 Like

I can see that i am getting the times to mill down but the model i created produces too shallow a finished piece so i need to rework it.

1 Like