Looking for help repairing a motherboard

I am repairing a SuperMicro x11SCZ-f motherboard and am having issues getting my solder to melt on this board. I am pretty sure there are parts of the old leads from the broken off Cap stuck in it. Any assistance would be amazing!

It’s not clear what you’re trying to do but if it’s clean old solder off, I’d suggest dousing desoldering braid with liquid flux (we have some in e-lab). Place the braid on the solder and heat the solder through the braid. The solder will get sucked up like magic.

Sometimes in rework cleanup, moving to a lower temp solder alloy in the area you are trying to clean can help. Basically flux it up, add heat, add low temp alloy, and give it a little time to mix and diffuse with the existing, then clean it up with the solder wick.

https://www.chipquik.com/store/index.php?cPath=200&osCsid=rdsb84gt2dmum57f8j58tinut7

Don’t forget the flux!

Some long while back I had to replace bad caps on a mthr brd. Not having much luck w/ standard approach w/ soldering iron, wick etc., someone suggested using a heat gun. Figuring I didn’t have much to lose, gave it a try. Worked great. Replaced ~5 caps and the brd booted up. Mthr brds are multi layered w/ gnd/pwr planes - all act like a heat sink. You need to poor more heat into a larger area to get the job done.

1 Like

Would you mind giving me a hand with this at some point.
Thank you.

We do have a rework station (hot air) that would do this.

2 Likes