Looking for help cutting some square bar

First off, I’m so sorry if I name things incorrectly. I know I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I’m building a small jig for setting rivets in very narrow leather tubes. I have a 3’ piece of 3/4" steel square tubing/bar? it’s hollow and I got it at home depot.

I need to cut two pieces out of it about 6"-8". I also need to drill a hole on both ends for some bolts to fit.

This isn’t urgent, just on my todo list so I’m ok waiting for a metal shop class to get signed off, but there aren’t any on the calendar. If someone is available to help, then that’d be just as great. Monday April 30 between 4-530 would be ideal since i have a class then, but I’m asking for help so I’d be glad to meet up whenever it’s convenient.

As long as it’s not hardened the cold cut saw in machine shop would cut this I think. I think 6" is possible though on the small side for that machine.

You can cut it on the bandsaw’s. The bandsaws do no currently require training.

2 Likes

Excellent. Thanks! :blankspace::blankspace::blankspace::blankspace::blankspace::blankspace:

That’s providing that it’s not rebar. We don’t cut rebar on our bandaws

It’s definitely not rebar. It’s square tubing I think. I may even still have the label on it, so I’ll verify what it is and how thick it is. I really don’t want to try and use a hacksaw for it if I don’t need to. Plus there is drilling some holes in it.

I’ll be there later this afternoon say 4;30-7. Will teach you how to use an, your practice cuts can be your bar stock.

1 Like

That’s very kind, but I cant’ make it up there until Monday evening. This is very not urgent, so if I can take a rain check for another time that works for you I would appreciate it!